Friday, July 01, 2016

Friday

Happy Friday! How did the week go?  I did a little of this and a little of that all week and have very little to show for it.  I always feel good when I can see even the smallest thing done so I feel quite satisfied.  Boring for the blog though.

Splendid Sampler
 
Splendid Sampler is perking a long, did you make Thursday's block?  It's from Barb and Mary of Me and My Sister Designs and it's super cute.  I really enjoyed their story about their block, you should go read it on their blog here... and as usual you can download the instructions here on the Splendid Sampler website.

coffeebreak2
 
Coffee break reading was great this week!  My friend Sherri has a quilt in the Moda All-Stars Scraps made Simple and she sent me a copy to read and review.  Oh my gosh, what a great book.    This is Sherri's quilt, On the Grid. 

Sherri Falls
 
(photo by Brent Kane courtesy of Martingale Publishing)
 
What I really like about this book is the diversity of projects.  There's something for everyone, complicated triangle heavy projects (I'm talking to you Carrie!)  plus some easier squares and rectangles like this one by Sherri.  You can check them all out over at the Martingale site. In a book where there are a variety of designers you have  the opportunity to see how different people organize their work. I feel like my method always has room for improvement and with so many different people doing so many different styles you get a wide variety of project organizational techniques.   Additionally, with each designer there is a section on how they organize their scraps.  I've been a tosser and a hoarder when it comes to small pieces so I'm certainly open to what 'normal' people do and how I can apply that to my own situation.
 
One of the things that I really love about That Patchwork Place books is the great layout and photography.  For each project there are a series of closeups so you get a feel for the piecing and the quilting of the project, plus there is a great shot of the over all quilt.  Their instructions are clear and concise with just the right amount of words and illustrations. 
 
This book was compiled by Lissa Alexander.  Lissa  truly has her finger on the pulse of quilting! What I really like about a compilation book is the chance to discover new designers and get a taste of their style.  Some of these designers are new to me, and some, like Susan Ache, are Instagram quilting stars. Here's a link to her IG account.  Inspirational! I hope you check it out.

Ok, that's it for me today!  I hope you all have a safe holiday weekend!!!! xo

1 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

So cute!!!! And I ordered this book, looks so fun!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older