Thursday, June 23, 2016

Happiness in Stitches!


Good morning old  friends and new!!  Today is my day for the Splendid Sampler .  When Pat and Jane invited me to design an applique block for their project I was so excited.  There are so many wonderful designers participating and I'm grateful for the opportunity to join them!

banner_fin v4
 
Back in November I received my roll of fabric from Moda.  I also got a wonderful box of coordinating threads from Aurifil to use with my block. 

Splendid Sampler Block Fabrics
 
Here's what I came up with!    Vintage Flower Basket is   inspired by old heat transfer embroidery designs.  Growing up we embroidered pillow cases  and tea towels for Christmas gifts and I  love those old patterns.  
 


Splendid Sampler

Splendid Sampler


 
Although it looks like a complicated block, it really isn't.  I chose rick rack instead of a bias handle, I think it adds a bit of whimsy and it's a lot  easier. I like to use just a couple of drops of glue to baste it in place until I stitch it down, which I do with matching thread and a straight stitch. You can trace your pieces onto fusible web, fuse onto the wrong side of your fabrics and cut out. Use the third page of the pattern, which you can download from the Splendid Sampler website, to layout your block. Then just fuse in place, and stitch it down with a blanket stitch like I did or  whatever your preference is.  I'm NOT and applique genius, so I if I can do it, you can do it!  The Splendid Sampler project is a great one in that you can try new things in a no pressure way! 
 
For my own  Splendid Sampler quilt I looked around for some color inspiration and found this fun basket of cookies and thought they were perfect. 
 
 

COOKIES
 
Of course I'm always drawn to pinks, reds and greens with a bit of yellow. 

testblock


It was so fun to design this block.  I played around with it for a while before I came up with my final design.. hard to resist the urge to just cram a million tiny flowers on it. 
  

Splendid Sampler


Splendid Sampler

 
 
But I love how it turned out in the end.  I hope you  do too.  Thanks for inviting me Pat and Jane, and thanks to all of you who came by to read about my block!!!  Can't wait to see your Vintage Flower Baskets on Instagram and Facebook!  Tag me on IG (@pamkittymorning)  so I don't miss a block!

12 Comments:

Blogger Clare Lloyd said...

It's a very pretty block, thank you. I am looking forward to sewing this design.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your design Pam! Can't wait til it's posted so I can start!

6:23 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Very cute!! And I always love me a polka dot background!

6:57 AM  
Blogger In stitches and seams said...

oh this looks like a fun little block to do up Thanks Pam

7:16 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Looks like a fun block!

8:18 AM  
Blogger littlexiegirl01 said...

Soooo beautiful! I can't wait to get started!! I've been looking forward to your block for weeks - you never disappoint!! Thank you!!!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Angie in SoCal said...

Soooo cute! I can see a whole quilt made out of these. Thanks so much. Off to print my copy of the pattern.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Linda J. said...

" Oh " this is so cute! Love it, Love it !

11:44 AM  
Blogger Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It's very pretty and such a nice pattern for spring/summer.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Helen Philipps said...

This block is so sweet! I love the shape of the little basket and the ric rac for the handle is a wonderful idea!
Happy weekend Pam.
Helen xox

2:29 AM  
Blogger Freda's Hive said...

OMG so cute

2:17 PM  
Blogger Clairequilty said...

Thanks for your helpful hints to achieve this fun block.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older