Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pinterst is Sew Fun- The Posey Edition


Hi there! I can't believe it's taken me till today to get back here. I guess I've been busy, but mostly it's boring stuff.   But yesterday I decided to take a few minutes and make something for the heck of it. 
 
Months ago I was on Pinterest and I saw the cutest vintage quilt.  Quick go take a look and come right back, here's the link.  I just loved that quilt. Ok, maybe the layout is kind of funky but I love it, and  what a  cute scallop border. I bet I know where I can get some easy scallops!  I tried a bunch of different ways to get something that had the same visual appeal without the curved piecing for a couple of reasons.  1. I'm pretty lazy and not always the best piecer so that project seemed doomed from the start.  2. I don't want to cut all those pieces out because I have the dexterity of a toddler when it comes to templates. And don't even get me started with my attention span.  Nonexistant.

Little Cherries
 
But I had what I thought was a pretty genius idea.  I have a Go! Baby, so I ordered the  Drunkard's Path 3 1/2 inch finished die. I cut 4 squares of blue fabric and put fusible web on the back and then ran them through the cutter.  The die has little notches for matching up to the coordinating pieces for the background, but I just nipped those off with my scissors.  Then I fused it to a square and I had the center of the block!   Of course I used my favorite die for the leaves and circles, the Go! Rose of Sharon.. I use that die a lot.   I know, you think the red circle is too small, it might be, I have to wait to trim down the block to decide. The stem might be too long, the circle too small, there's still tinkering to do, but ohmygosh it's cute.  Ok, to me anyway. 


Little cherries
 
Imagine my surprise when looking through my cool Japanese block book that I found almost same block. I also looked it up in the Barbara Brackman Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and there are several names for this block and similar blocks, Posies Around the Square, Dandelion Quilt,  The Posey Quilt,  Spice Pinks and Sweetheart Garden. 

Little Cherries
 
I found another picture on Pinterest that lead me to Pinkadot Quilt's blog.   You can see a post here where she's working on the quilt and it's adorable in cheerful colors.  You can check out this fun post by Barbara Brackman  about the Posey Quilt! More setting ideas.  I am super thrilled with my block and if I end up making a quilt out of it I'll share my instructions here.  It  won't be the traditional method, but it might be a method the average quilting toddler could make.  Like me.
 
Ok, have a super week friends!!! I hope you're having fun! xop
 
 

14 Comments:

Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Super Cute PKM!!!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

It's wonderful. And as soon as I get my Pam Kitty fabric out of storage, I might have a go at it.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Little Quiltsong said...

Love your Block - just the way it is! Your amazing - you worked it out, and made it your own. Love all the fabrics you used.
I just finished two of your Lunch Box Quilts - I had so much fun!!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Tracine said...

I think you're genius for figuring out the block. It's so cute. FYI I love the size of the circles and the stems.
tracinecharest at Gmail dot com

6:52 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

You GO! LoL! Such a cute block Pam.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love "average quilting toddler" :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love the block: I think the proportions are just great and I admire your ingenuity! I guarantee we (meaning me) often feels like a "quilting toddler" - as in when everything actually lines up, I feel like it's cause for celebration! Absolutely adore your fabrics!!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone in the quilting toddler zone. I think I could make this block even. Get busy on a pattern while I order my dyes. As usual you are making me lol Pam Kitty. Keep it up. Your the greatest and I know I'm not the only one who appreciates you.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

Such a lot of information about the history of your cute block. I loved reading it all and love your block just as it is. This is something I really want to do. I hope you do make it into a quilt pattern. I love the block on point the best. Thanks for all you do.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Just wanted to share that I love what you did and love your blog and fabric. I have not sewn in years (did heirloom sewing), but your fabric made me want to quilt, so I bought some. Then I bought patterns, then a Silhouette. Haven't done a thing yet but hope to start this year when I quit working full time! So now I know not to give away the Silhouette because I can use it to cut fabric. Thank you and that kitty on your blog makes me so happy!!!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Elaine K said...

Adorable block! Very clever and super cute! :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Freda's Hive said...

So super cute. Love that you found it several places, too. I do not think the red dot is too small. It is pretty.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Robbienae said...

Wow, I love this cute posey block! You are over thinking the sizes of the stems and circles. The fabrics are so adorable and I love the red, white, and blue!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Robbienae said...

I am soooo excited! I just ordered $140.00 worth of Pam Kitty fabrics and I already have 2 quilts in mind and lots of pillows and purses. I got some of Holly's fabrics too!!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older