Friday, March 01, 2013

PamKittyCustom

Hi there!  Totally happy day here, what about with you? I'm super excited about today's post.  A couple of weeks ago, Elizabeth and I were talking about the new Shabby Chic Toms that just became available. She loves that style and was crazy about the shoes.   Inside I was thinking OMG! I want some PamKittyToms. I mean seriously!!!

Shoe Experiment
 
Hmm, maybe I could make my own version of a custom shoe, but Toms are pretty pricey to start experimenting with.  I headed over to Payless and found these plain black canvas shoes and they were $19.99. 

Shoe Experiment
 
Hardest part, deciding which black fabric to use to fussy cut the motifs. The shoes are a nice dark black, so the black fabric kind of recedes  into the background.

Shoe Experiment
 
Choosing the motifs, also hard.  I thought starting small might be the way to go.  I cut my selection out with a generous margin, then I blanket stitched around the edge for a faux patch look.  After stitching, I fused a piece of Steam-a-Seam onto the back of the fabric and cut about 1/8th an inch away from the stitching. The Steam-a-Seam is pretty sticky, so I could just press it by hand onto the shoe, to decide where to put it.

Shoe Experiment
 
Once it's where you like it, stuff a towel into the front of the shoe, and then use the tip of your iron to fuse it permanently.  Of course as soon as I took the photo, I notice that little partial leaf bit up there. DANG IT. Haste makes.. well a less than perfect project.  But I think a Sharpie will take care of that. I just got too excited to be finished so I could share it with you. 
 
I am going to play around with this some more, work on a little something for the back where the funky label is.  I'll keep you posted.  I just couldn't wait to share this with you.  Think of what you could do for little kids shoes, or old worn out shoes!
 
Ok, happy weekending people! xo
 
p.s. I will work on the other shoe as well, I left it blank for before and after purposes!

14 Comments:

Anonymous DianeP said...

Great idea Pam Kitty! Looks just like an expensive pair of shoes, but you saved a bundle!

Please wear them in good health!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Nedra said...

Those are soooo cute Pam! I think every fabric designer should have them.

5:16 AM  
Blogger randi--i have to say said...

Super cute! What a fun idea!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Debbie Johnson said...

Awesome idea...very cute! I would Sharpie the wee leaf too. If you wanted to add more white dots you could use the end of a paint brush dipped in acrylic paint.
Happy Friday!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

SUPER Delicious!!!!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

Love, love, love! And I'm chuckling over the Sharpie. They really are a multi-purpose tool.

Happy Friday!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What a wonderful idea!!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Little Lady Patchwork said...

I hope that you wear those super cute shoes to Quilt Market!
Stefanie

2:54 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

This is such a cute idea! I used Modge Podge and it makes it shiny and doesn't look nearly as good! PKM fabric makes it really, really cute!

Cheery wave from Bev

7:36 PM  
Blogger Junebug said...

Love the shoes!!! I just spent three days at the NW Sewing Expo. Wow, what some great ideas I came home with!! Even saw Pam Kitty fabric in a couple of booths!!

8:27 AM  
Blogger simply bev said...

Adorable! This is a terrific idea - thank you for sharing!

5:49 PM  
Anonymous debbie said...

Shut the front door...these are adorable. I'm so making some!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Swooning over your shoes! You definitely have happy feet!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Krista Schneider said...

I love this! You're so clever. And I adore your fabric :D

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older