Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wow!

This morning we're in the lab! I hope you enjoy my little test of the new marking pen.


Have a good day my fine little lab assistants!

***!!!UPDATE!!!***

When I made this video and recommended the pen I got to thinking, you know, what happens if someone uses this pen on my recommendation and then something bad happens. I didn't test the pen with batting, or over any length of time, with soap, with no washing etc. So I thought, gee, I'm going to read a little more about this pen. Which lead to the discovery that Pilot advises you not to use the pen on legal documents because the ink is temperature sensitive. Well we did prove that. What I didn't figure on is that chilling the ink RETURNS IT'S COLOR.


The fabric that had been rinsed didn't show it's markings,but the one that I didn't rinse.. well you can see with your own eyes.. the ink has returned. Not heavily, but it's there. I did put the fabric in the freezer for 1 minute, and Pilot says returning it to 14 degrees will restore the ink.. but I've seen Chris's front walkway, I'd say there's a possibility it could get cold!

SO.. let me amend my recommendation. It's a cool pen and I still think it has some uses BUT use it knowing that should your piece be subjected to cold weather.. the ink could return.

Phew.. glad we got that figured out in time. xo

12 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

Great investigation Pam. I never have liked to mark my quilts because of several teachers sharing their bad experiences with disappearing pens. But at least with this pen, you have shown that it will only reappear in frigid conditions. So a word to the wise should be sufficient. Thanks!

7:06 AM  
Blogger karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Great experiment & hold harmless clause!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Nedra said...

Thanks for sharing this new pen concept with us. And the further investigation was very helpful!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Chef Mama Lori said...

What a great investigation! I'm giggling, though, because I'm sitting here warm & cozy in San Antonio thinking, "WHERE in this town could we even find 14 degrees?" LOL! Happy day!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Cheryl M. said...

I just found out about this pen this last weekend. I was going to do some testing also, so thanks for the info about the cold temps. I also found the frixion highlighter markers, it looks like they may be good marking on dark fabrics. I will have to test them for the cold also. Thanks again for the info.
Cheryl M.

8:34 AM  
Blogger ferne said...

so am I understanding that if you wash your project after marking there is no problem with it coming back if it gets cold? Looks like a great pen to me!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Interesting! Thanks for the update.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Eniko said...

Nice job with the sleuthing...

12:06 PM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

A regular detective you were today Pam! Thanks for the info!

5:09 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

you've gone and got yourself all famous girl!!!
look at all your features!!!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

I LOVE YOUR VIDEO! You should have a whole series of PKMTV shows!

Cool pen - and I see the perfect application for it - sending top secret spy messages on quilts.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

WOW! I was all ready to get one until I read the end of the post. Guess I'll stick to the blue thinga-ma-dingy pen.

Thanks for the lab experiment!!

:) becky

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older