Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Book Report

Hi friends!  Hope you are well and enjoying all that summer has to offer.  We've had a nice few cool days here, lots of swing time out back for me, enjoying the cooler weather.  The summer has been nice so far and my plants are all still looking fresh and green. 
 
Recently Deidre from C&T contacted me and asked if I'd like an e-copy of Alex's All Things Quilting book for review. It was one of the books I hadn't added to my library and I jumped at the chance. 


AllThingsQuilting
 
Honestly, it's so good I had to go out and get a hold-in-your-hands copy. It's the reference book that I've always wanted!  For instance, what's the calculation for setting triangles? I always like to check just in case. Well page 92 has a tell all on setting triangles, including a bit of a discussion on grainline.  Did you know that a lot of people don't know the difference between quarter square and half square triangles and why to use one or the other? 
 
But that's just one thing in the book.  Something that's important to me. There are a lot of other reasons to get this book. No matter how long I've been sewing or quilting, there are lots of techniques I don't know.  I remember when I was adding prairie points to the edge of a quilt, I didn't know how to do it. The internet at that time didn't really know either come to find out, and I was left to muddle through because my book and pattern library didn't have anything past a sentence or so to tell me how to do it. All Things Quilting has a bunch of step outs showing exactly how to do it.  Great photography that really illustrates the technique. That's just one of the many finishing techniques shown in the book. 
 
All Things Quilting is filled with things like that, great step out photographs of techniques of all kinds, you know, from start to finish of your project.  It has information that is missing today in lots of books or online sources, the reasoning behind doing something a particular way.  That back up info that informs your decision making process.  The information that can make the difference in the success of your projects.   For me it's all the information you might pick up if you took a lot of quilt classes.  It's all in this book waiting for you to pick it up when you need it. 
 
This book really is All Things Quilting.  It's a start to finish guide for making a quilt. A book filled with information you don't know you need till you do. It's your quilt class experience without leaving home. It's there, from a trusted source, so you know you can count on it.  I love it.  I feel inspired by it. And while this isn't a fancy review, because lets face it, I'm not that fancy, it's an honest assessment of this book. 
 
Thanks Deidre, for sending me an e-copy! What a great book!   People if you ever just wanted to know stuff I think you will love it. 
 
Ok, that's the news here in PamKittyVille.  xop
 
 

4 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Sounds like just the book I need to add to my library. It is so helpful to know why one technique is better than another and in what circumstances. I have been culling my books of late but this is one I’lol and buy as a gift too for a new quilter I know.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Bridgette said...

Thanks for the heads up, I need all the help I can get :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mimi's fun said...

Thanks PamK! This book’s pub date is 2015. Are they just now adding it to the ebook collection? ...just wondering. Agree it IS a good book.
Looking forward to more of your wonderful prints...

6:22 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

That sounds like the kind of book I need too. I wish I was in the Bay area right now, your weather sounds great.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older