Sunday, April 14, 2019

Panic Button

Hi there friends!  This morning, after some coffee and Instagram browsing and general lollygagging around, I walked by  and saw this log cabin in  a pile of stuff in my sewing room. All the log cabins on line had me thinking about it, and I vaguely remember talking about it on the blog, but for the life of me I can't find the post or even a photo of it. I think I remember commenting with Darlene, BUT WHO KNOWS ANYMORE.
 
Anyway for some reason I picked it up and unfolded it.  OMG IT DOESN'T HAVE 3 OF THE CORNER TRIANGLES. 

logcabin1
 
A well organized person would say "Oh Pam, isn't that yellow solid that is YEARS OLD  just folded up with it?" But then of course they'd laugh maniacally because OF COURSE IT ISN'T. 
 
Normal people wouldn't even panic at this point because you know, it would be somewhere in their stash just waiting.  But you know what, I've been purging my stash and OMG DO I STILL HAVE IT? Thankfully a trip through a couple of fabric boxes yielded the yellow chunk there and several possibilities.  Doesn't really look like a match in the photo but when you unfold it, I think it is.  Or close enough.  (but I did go thru more boxes to see if there was a better match. Who knew I had so many yellow solids. This one, I remember, was called butter. By who? Who knows.)
 
Along the way I found several finished or almost finished projects.  And when looking at photos I saw lots of things that have me wondering where they are. Maybe I'll cut those triangles today and then pile it back up.  I made another quilt like this one in a class at Going to Pieces many years ago taught by the wonderful Gloria Smith.  I love the thirties and this is no different.  I remember taking this to the shop to have her help me with the corners so why I never bothered to finish this, or any  of the things I found along the way in those boxes, who knows.
 
All I know it, don't be like me and pack up your unfinished projects with what you need to finish.  This is not only a scary story but a cautionary tale for you.
 
Hope you're having a great weekend!! 

P. S.  I am curious about old projects. If you have old quilt tops  that you're never going to quilt, what do you do with them? I know I have things stashed away that will never get the finishing treatment. What do you do? I'd love to know.

5 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Well we have lots in common. I may even have this 30s project in a fancy pizza box somewhere also unfinished. I have progressed to the point of writing the name/ number of the solid on the selvage so I don’t have depend on these older eyes to discern Moda 97 from 98. Unfortunately I have yet to write on the pattern when I cut it out which one I used as the background.
When you get some ideas on projects you’ll never finish let me know too please. My kids never will that’s for sure.

1:05 PM  
Blogger julieQ said...

Pam, you made me giggle with your panic, because it is so familiar to me! I am selling my quilt tops...many antique and vintage...someone really needs to finish these!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Mary Anne Drury said...

Well I can definately relate !!! HOWEVER ...... I do pack up my unfinished projects WITH the missing parts and still ( years later) open them up and stare in confusion at all the parts and wonder what the heck I was doing and then decide that will take too much brain power ( usually) to figure it out ..... then pack it up again .....( I need an intervention....) . So, in answer to your question ..... I clearly haven't figured that out either !!!!!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

I love the repetitive "who knows" in this tale! Because really, the answer to so many questions when going through stashes and boxes can be made with those two words. "When did I buy this?" Who knows. "What was I thinking?" Who knows. "Did I really think I would make this?" Who knows. And now my current most asked question to myself, "Will I ever find the energy to sew through all this stuff????" Who knows.

Glad you found what works to finish it, if you choose to.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Robbienae said...

Oh Wow. It will look very pretty when you get it all completed. I have a few projects sitting and waiting for me too. If I loose the pieces, I will just create something different and it can still be used and loved.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older