Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Happiest Place on Earth

Luck was finally with us this week, we got in our trip to Disneyland. It really was our good fortune having had to postpone the trip, the park was empty. No lines. I know, can you believe it? When does that ever happen?

We stayed at the new Disney Grand Californian Hotel which was amazing. Its a huge Craftsman style hotel and I spent the whole time inside oggling the details, like the vintage style telephones in the lobby and the cool tiles in the bathrooms, and the linens and the lamps and well just everything. I could have taken a million bad photos but lets just show these. The first is the view from the 4th floor down into the enormous lobby. There is a fireplace down there, not that I wanted to get anywhere near that, it was quite warm, but Bret and Frankie enjoyed some downtime there.




We had early entrance to the park on Thursday, here's Frankie and I all ready to bolt into the park and run to Space Mountain. Which sadly was down for the first half hour of our early entrance time. We rode the Matterhorn and then came back at Frankie's urging and it was open.. we were on the first car of the morning and wow, how much do we love Space Mountain. Enough to run around to the entrance and ride it again.



After the park opened up to the rest of the people, it was still pretty empty and we managed to ride everything we wanted to and headed back to downtown Disney for lunch. When we were younger there's no way we would have left the park but this is who I am now, and I really need the break.



Lunch was good and afterwards Frankie wanted to take a nap. Bret and I had a date with Splash Mountain, my all time favorite ride in Disneyland.



We rode it twice, and I managed to stay relatively dry the whole time. It seemed like tempting fate to ride one more time, so we walked around the park and then somehow I managed not to fall into a heap at the side of the road bawling and haul myself up to the room, where we napped for a couple of hours. Then back to the park for more rides and Fantasmic. It was really a great day!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss that place!!! Did you go on
Indiana Jones>??my favorite!!
Also, the other extreme, i love the rides meant for kids-like
Mr. Toad..love it when doors push open while on a car.-
very old fashioned! thanks for
inspiring a trip--i wannna GO!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I'm so glad you guys had such a great time. It sounds like you've all recovered completely.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

January is my favorite time to be in Disneyland. You can cram so much more into your day, then!

And the Grand California is amazing. We've only stayed there once when it first opened, and HOLY COW... amazing. I love the front doors. IZ has to push me through them, because I just stand there and admire, and in the process hold up traffic. :D

3:17 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

so. much. fun.

jealous.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

OMG... what fun! Space Mountain is my favorite ride at DL and Splash Mountain is #2 (the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz is my all-time #1 favorite ride in the world)! I could spend two days at DL... one day to do everything, and one day just to ride Space Mountain over, and over, and over again.

I have yet to go to the Disney Grand Californian Hotel and want to so bad! I would be like Wende just standing there in awe holding everyone up. Ok... I need THREE days in DL.

I love the pics of you guys and the one with you and Frankie is wonderful! That's one for a frame!

BTW... my word verification word is "skhzt". It's like Blogger has Snoop Dog on staff to come up with these words.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! You have been tagged! Check my blog for details.
http://journals.aol.com/rwa3457986/retro-rosie

6:14 PM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

Since moving back to L.A. we've bought season passes, and everytime we go it's more and more crowded - which I hate! We're going next Sunday, when my girlfriend comes down to visit - I hope we have as much luck as you did. Don't you LOVE the Grand Californian? I'm almost sorry we're living L.A. - because then how do I justify staying there?

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older