Sunday, August 12, 2007

It's a Mystery

So what was your favorite book as a kid? Mine was Harriet the Spy. Oh how I loved that book. I have read it countless times, as well as its sequels The Long Secret and Sport. I was an avid reader as a kid. Mom would take us to the library once a week during the summer and I was only allowed 12 books by mom mandate, a kid should spend some time playing.
A treat that I did have was belonging to some kind of book club. Again, more mysteries, this time The Happy Hollisters. A family of mystery solving kids, with a daughter named Pam, so it was just like being in the family. (and just looking at the list of titles makes me want to run to see what I'm missing.)
Of course I also read Nancy Drew. I own a few copies, none give me more pleasure than the anniversary series of books on tape read by Laura Linney. I have listened to them many times. The cultural differences alone from the 30's are worth the read.
By the time I was in 5th grade I'd chewed though all the children's books in the library and headed into the young adult area and on into adult fiction. Mysteries, lawyer stories, spy books, all my favorites. Probably a lot of stuff I just didn't understand but I loved to read. Now I just like cozy mysteries, like Agatha Raisin and Miss Zukas, and a host of others too numerous to mention. And don't get me started on Perry Mason,The Man From Uncle, Murder She Wrote, Matlock, CSI..
Which leads me to this:

Who left this little bear nestled in the bushes out front? It was put there during Frankie's visit last week. Hmm, does somebody have a secret admirer?

11 Comments:

Blogger LaurenSmash said...

oooh fun a secret admirer! I wish I had one of those :) So fun!

10:55 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

First coffee . . . & now reading. . . hmm. . . sounds like an ideal combination to me!

Please, oh please tell us when you find out about the cute little bear!!! Sounds like any secret is about to be out!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How mysterious!!!!
Love,
anonymous

2:11 PM  
Blogger Doe said...

No, not me! You can always put on your detective hat and solve mystery because I'm dying to know. Could it be that YOU have a secret admirer? Hmmm...

5:02 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I loved Half Magic by Edgar Eager! It featured a brother and two sisters who found an odd coin that granted wishes--only you only got half your wish. It made for some really weird adventures! They would wish they were in New York and end up in Kansas City--that sort of thing.

5:47 PM  
Blogger One Crabapple said...

how SWEET

And perhaps it is better kept a secret - it is THAT sweet.

What a smile you brought to me...not just with the little heart covered bear...But Harriet The Spy ! and Nancy Drew - and days at the library and only being able to check out the limit which was never enough and there was always much horrible decision making on which would have to wait the two weeks until I got back to return the other batch....Ah and then if I was lucky , the Book Mobile would show at school and another limit might be hoarded up .

You have me thinking back now...who WERE my favorite kids.....Thanks for getting me going on this....

Love, S.

8:39 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

I used to love the Frog and Toad books when I was really little. I still have them. :)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

There were so many favorites. Like you, I was an avid reader. ONly I would ride my bike to our library in the small town where I lived and whip through series after series. Nancy Drew definitely was a HUGE favorite! In fact, when I was ten I used to dream about moving to a big city, having my own apartment, going out with Ned, and solving mysteries in cute skirts.

I love Agatha Raisin too, but I have to admit that by the fifth book she was starting to annoy me. Well, not her actually, but MC Beaton for never letting Agatha be happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Frankie had lots of secret admirers, she's one lovely gal.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading when I was little too! Lots and lots of books! Hmmm mysterious bear...how fun!

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I have such fond memories of driving the librarian crazy during the summers.....I was a Happy Hollisters fan also!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

Oh my gosh you made me smile this morning! I love mysteries, always have! I'm going to pull out some I haven't read in awhile and start again. Let us know when you find out where the little bear came from. Do you need me to go undercover in front of your house? (:

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older