Monday, November 16, 2009

Blog Hopping Monday!

I can't believe it's been a whole blog hopping week! I think my regular peeps know I'm a bit grinchy so all this Christmas talk is way out of line for me! Between the remembering and Elizabeth's Big Christmas Decorating Plans (yes, its a plan that requires a fully capitalized name) I'm really in a Christmas Frenzy.
But fortunately, I do actually remember my first Christmas on my own. Well, make that the first year I had a tree. While I never lived at home more than a couple of months after I left for college in (gasp) 1972, I always lived close to my parents and never had my own tree. But in 1982 my parents were living farther away, both my sister and brother were newly married and living closer to me, so I ended up having family Christmas at my house.

My tree was a spindly Douglas Fir from Payless. I remember trying to jam it in the back of my car after work one night. I had absolutely no Christmas decorations, save the box of weird little terra cotta things.. don't even know what they are, but I still have some, and a couple of cheap boxes of ordinary shiny ornaments. Maybe 1 string of lights. And no tree stand, just that little wood "X" stand thing they came nailed on back in the day.

My parents came to stay with me, I slept in my guest room and I had just started seeing Bret so he stayed on the couch. We had a wonderful Christmas Eve family dinner and then Christmas morning my parents headed back home, Bret left and there I was all alone. Kind of sad. But, as luck would have it Bret called, his family had invited me to come for their Christmas. Happy Ending. Or rather beginning, since Bret and I were married in 1985!

So that's my first Christmas story peeps! Today is Terri's day, so hop and over and hear her story!

26 Comments:

Blogger Margi said...

Great first Christmas story! I am so enjoying hearing all about the designers.

4:48 AM  
Blogger TheaMinPA said...

another wonderful memory - love this blog hop, very heart warming!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I love the fact that you slept in your guest room. What a good daughter!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Jayne Honnold said...

I know what you mean about being bummed out after everyone went home. But guess what? Now, I am really glad when everyone goes home! My how the years change us!!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

awww that's such a sweet memory!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Jewel said...

No grinchy... have fun. I read Elizabeth's post before yours... love her little plans :)

6:43 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Sweet memory! Why are you Grinchy? You must share that story. :-)

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Grinch thing is just stress spelled differently. sigh
Linda P in IL

7:04 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

No, not a Happy Ending - just a Hapoy Beginning.

And I'll bet that your parents loved your first tree as much as you did because it made them reflect.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Ruby said...

Thanks for the memories of Christmas past. I think it too me a couple of years to realize the wood X on the bottom was not a tree stand!

7:56 AM  
Blogger WYO Di said...

Cute share today. Don't think I didn't notice the quilt tree skirt in the snowman pic of yesterday's post!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Julie S said...

Don't you love those memories of the early days of seeing someone? I'll bet when Bret called to join him and his family, your heart nearly beat out of your chest!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Mary Lynn pinpin( gforrest@talkwireless.com) said...

I just love your site for many things but I do love Scotty dogs!!

9:57 AM  
Blogger isa & marta said...

gracias por compartir tan linda historia de navidad, es un placer volver cada dia a leerla.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice memories. Thanks.

Darlis

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your first Christmas memory with us. And don't you just love a happy ending.

10:59 AM  
Blogger lovetostitch said...

I was cracking up over the little X thing that came on the tree - didnt think of just putting it in a bucket some how with a sheet around it? I dont think you sound grinchy.... why do you claim that? What a great daughter to give up your room for your parents, I may have to copy off this part of the blog and show it off to MY daughter - lol!!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Morgan Moore said...

Aww- what a lovely memory!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Missa said...

How nice! I enjoy reading your blog!

12:22 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Sweet story. :D

12:48 PM  
Blogger patsy said...

Yuur Scotty dogs just make me smile.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Baking, coffee, and sewing - is there more???

5:46 PM  
Blogger arlette said...

Great christmas story, it's really sweet

8:10 PM  
Blogger jen. e said...

"My tree was a spindly Douglas Fir from Payless. I remember trying to jam it in the back of my car after work one night".
-My FAVORITE part! xo

9:22 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

I remember having almost nothing to hang on the tree. I was always making things for it: red felt with cut-outs from Christmas cards glued on, bread dough ornaments (yikes!), and do you remember the fabric you could buy that had ornaments printed on it so you could sew them up and stuff them?

1:20 AM  
Blogger Iva said...

What a nice story.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older