Sunday, December 17, 2006

Nice to be home!

We had a great trip! Frankie was a little under the weather with a cold, but she was a trouper. We picked her up on the way and had a nice family weekend. Every trip seems like a gift, you never know if its the last one. I remember the last family vacation my family took was the year I graduated from high school. After that I was working and going to college and there just wasn't a chance for it. So I treasure each one we get.

The weather was really quite nice, there was rain, but it never interfered with our plans. We made some stops along the way but were in San Simeon in time for a cup of coffee before we rode up the hill. That bus ride at night is a lot like a thrill ride, its pitch black and super curvy.

The outdoor lighting is lovely, with its warm glow. I think the globes are made of alabaster, and the light has a soft quality to it. Makes picture taking rough though. Indoors even tougher. The little view window made some of the photos almost look ok, but once on the computer, not so good.







There were a few places that there were little sewing items out. In the large guest house there was a room set up with a sewing machine, but the lighting there was bad and my photo looks so blurry even blogger wouldn't post it. Here in Marion Davies private room you can see the little sewing notions on the desk. It was a pretty little setting, and there was a lovely dress sitting out on the bed.



Seems like everywhere you turned there was some kind of quilty inspiration. These are little gold tiles around the indoor pool. The bottom of the pool was incredible and I am going to have to look for photos, I think the design would make for a lovely quilt block.



Bret surprised us with reservations at the Apple Farm. I didn't know where we were going to stay till we left, so it was a lovely treat. Its so charming with its Christmas decorations. We got there in time for a fashionably late dinner! Everywhere there are decorations, and the lobby of the Inn was just like a dream.

In the morning in the reception area they have coffee and tea, so I grabbed a cup and sat out front enjoying the crisp air. It was picture perfect.

This is the entrance into the gift shop downstairs from the restaurant.



We had a wonderful time, but its back to the grindstone around here. And to my Oregon friends, good luck with your storm cleanup. Been thinking about all of you since I heard about it on the news.

11 Comments:

Blogger Angelina said...

I've always wanted to go to San Simeon. What amazing extravagance.

Hey, isn't Happy Zombie in Astoria? We weren't hit too bad here in McMinnville. Just a few felled trees, roof tiles, and power outages.

Very cool trip.

2:11 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

oh, sounds like a lovely trip.

and darn light, i haven't been getting good photos lately. grr...

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those pictures of San Simeon were great. Always wanted to go there, maybe someday!!
I want to thank you for the lovely quilt pattern. I have just been looking at these, they are just wonderful. I am so overbooked that I keep slapping myself to not start something else.
We just got power back today since the little blow so trying to get on track to finish all the other "projects". I am looking forward to doing this the week after Christmas, it is too cute to put away. Thanks again.
Keep up the great posts, very inspiring!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here, I'm here! You're trip sounded wonderful Pam! I think it could have only been better if we all got to go with you! I think the pics turned out great! Bummer about Frankie not feelin' too well. :o(

I love the gift shop photo! And too cool of Marion Davies' room with her sewing and telephone. It looks like she was a crafty blogger of her day. I can just hear her calling 50 friends... "I finally finished THAT LACE, it's a perfect fit for going around the bottom of my telephone".

How sweet of you to think of us up here! BTW... we're STILL cleaning up at Casa de Zombie! DH had finally a good reason to convince me we needed a chain saw... and now he has it and oh what fun he had yesterday with our snapped redwood (I think it's a redwood... a big hongkin' pine of some sort).

Angelina! I'm glad you guys fared better! I was thinkin' about you guys.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK... no edit function! I really do know the dif between "you're" and "your"!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back girlfriend! Hoping to get to see you this week. Glad you had a good time : )

3:30 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

A vacation at this time of year sounds glorious...nice chatting again...

Dh is doing jsut fine...

Have a merry Christmas

5:35 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Welcome back. Sounds like you had a great trip.

8:28 AM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

Merry Christmas...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

I have yet to visit the Castle (husband's not so excited about the drive) but it might be a future girlfriends trip. The Apple Farm looks great, too. SOunds like a great trip.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun - what a great trip (sorry about Frankie not feeling too hot). That Apple Farm place sounds and looks adorable - maybe we'll make the stop if we get down that way during the kids' break. Hope you're enjoying the holidays! Have a most Merry Christmas and all the best for 2007!!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older