Saturday, December 02, 2006

Road warrior Part One

Do you ever have those days where you need to get out of the house? Friday was the great escape day. I had a list of places to see and the Mapquest routes to take us from one place to the next. I picked up Elizabeth and we hit the road.
The weather as wonderful. I haven't seen such brilliant blue sky in ages, and in subsequent posts you'll see what I mean. But back to the trip, it took about 40 minutes to arrive at our first destination. Elizabeth had no idea where we were going till we got to the exit for Port Costa. Imagine how surprised she was that we were heading to Wendy Addison's Theatre of Dreams Studio for her Christmas Open House. I had been reading Pam Garrison's blog the night before and saw her entry about the open house. Talk about good fortune. I had places on my list for our tour, and this was a super bonus.
Port Costa is a lot like a cross between a ghost town and what I imagine it's like on the bayou (movie bayou, you know- Tammy and the Bachelor Bayou). It dead ends right on the Delta. As a kid my dad would take us out there to fish, and I have fond memories of it being a much more thriving town. It has a rich history. Driving down towards the water, I couldn't believe how blue the sky was and how well you could see the river. The last time in town it was grey and overcast, rather sad and slightly spooky looking.
Here are some photos of the occasion for all those who couldn't attend. We enjoyed ourselves, and Wendy very graciously let me get some photos for my blog. They're not the greatest, but I was trying to get photos around her happy customers.



















Next stop.. coming soon.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat place!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

I think I shall maybe go broke if I visited a store like that...

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for these pictures I would just love to visit The Theatre of Dreams, bit far for the weekend though.

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHHH!!! You lucky lucky ducks!! I truly believe I wouldn't have made it through the INCREDIBLE front doors!!...totally woulda fainted just from the tiny window glimpse!

Boy oh boy!! What did you buy? Does she sell her licensed pieces too? or only handmade by her? Wow...what a day!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Happy Holidays!!
xox Jenny

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you lucky girls! Thanks for sharing the pics. I feel like I was there too.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Let's try this again...I registered my new beta account and still I'm having trouble leaving comments...

That sounds like such a fun day trip! I would probably have felt dwarfed by W.A's creativity, but I would have also felt inspired.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

Gorgeous stuff! What a talent!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, you!
Looks like a fun trip--lucky you!

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooooo envious! I would have been on happy sensory overload.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

I need a cigarette after looking at the photos...

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember, too, when Port Costa was more vibrant. There was a wharf chock full of great antique stores, but the whole thing burned down in the early 70's!

9:19 PM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

green with envy..

GREEEEEEEEEN.

sigh.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older