Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Bay Area is so beautiful, I hesitate to preach about heaven while I'm here"

~Billy Graham

And Friday was just the kind of day he was talking about. I haven't seen the city so beautiful in years. Normally I don't like going into San Francisco, the traffic and the tension of the drivers. Everyone in a hurry. My old roads are gone, me and San Francisco, we just don't know each other like we used to.

Friday though, San Francisco pulled out all the stops. The sky was so blue and clear, I wish I could have taken a million pictures just on the bridge. I love the symmetry of it. My pictures are not great, since I was driving AND taking photos (which I think worried Elizabeth just a bit.) But OHMYGOD can you just imagine how lovely it was? I mean seriously.

For the first time I could see all the new work going on to the right of the approach, I had only seen the new bridge on TV. I was just not in a good place to get a photo, sorry. I wonder if I will love it like I do the current bridge?





"Arrival in San Francisco is an experience in living"~William Saroyan

Ahh, the local lunch specials, nothing so colorful as the one a bit past this, "Lap Dance Lunch Special". Hmm, weird.

Russian Hill is a beautiful neighborhood. It isn't too crowded during the day and with a few trips around the block we managed to find a decent parking spot. Decent being neither up or down a steep hill. My only disappointment in the day was that my little shop, Brown Dirt Cowboy, was out of business.




Luckily all was not lost, there are still charming stores on the street and we went to this one. It was very cute. I saw some little felted gnomes and I thought they looked very familiar. When I did a little research back home I found that indeed they were from the imagination of the lovely Lucille. I've become familiar with her works through her good friend Angelina. All our lovely purchases in the city are Christmas gifts, so they are not to be revealed here.



During the ride back towards the bridge, the sun was shining and the bridge looked like it was clean and fresh. Sparkling. It was like seeing it for the first time. We drove along the Embarcadero, and without that freeway the whole view is open, the area revitalized. Post card perfect.








"San Francisco has only one drawback. ''Tis hard to leave"
Rudyard Kipling



It was a very fine day.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi pkm,
Love Russian Hill and La Place...
the way they wrap the candy sweets.
It has wonderful old world charm!
-nice travel diary.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It WAS an amazing day! Positively magical in SF...even without a lunch special.

7:08 AM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

now i want to go to the city.. Or should I say I want to go to the city RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Oh Pam... I LOVED seeing and reading about your visit to The City! Ahhh, sniff, sniff... I'm SO homesick! I loved the lunch special... so very Ess Eff!

“One day if I do go to heaven... I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'” - Herb Caen

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so so lucky to live in the bay area. So many wonderful sights & things to do.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Thank you so much for the tour! I haven't been to San Fransisco in alot of years now ~ until you took us along....

10:20 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

mmmm I looove the city! We are going this weekend for a much needed kid break and to see the store windows and hotel lobbies all decorated for the holidays. Can't wait!

12:37 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

I've only been through SF once (I know, shocking!). Growing up on the west coast, we shoulda gone there at least a couple of times. Thanks for sharing. It's always the people who appreciate a place who can get others to do the same. :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Once again, I wish I could have been there too! Was Brown Dirt Cowboy right down the street from Place De Soleil? If so I'm completely sad that they went out of business, if it's the shop I'm thinking of then it was my favorite store in the city too-but I only got to go to it once not too long before I ended up moving to Oregon.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older