Sunday, December 01, 2019

A PamKitty Style Christmas Tale

Morning friends! Welcome to December!  I thought I'd start off the month with a throwback style post like the old blog days.  You know the ones, the long rambly totally PamKittyMorningish style of ridiculous posts about some weird thing.  Like most old people, I wax on about how it was in the olden days, you know, like 10 years ago or whatever.. but I really did love those old blog days.  As much as I love our new ways of communicating, the blog is the thing that brought me the most friends, the most opportunities and mostly the outlet for all the stuff rattling around in my head.  
 
WAY BACK in October I headed into Walmart, probably for soap or some other sundry item that I can only get there, and the Christmas stuff was going up next to the Halloween, a phenomena  that was foretold by Nostradamus,  (sorry that just popped into my random brain) and I saw one of those little pink ceramic lighted trees that was about ornament size. 

pink ceramic tree
 
I thought it was cute and Frankie loves pink, so I grabbed one to set aside for her birthday.  It was under $10 and I thought about grabbing one for myself.  I remember seeing these at other people's homes when I was growing up.  Even then I was a little envious, or maybe curious, but whatever, it was kind of an icon of my childhood in the 50s and 60s, which doesn't seem that long ago BUT HOLY CRAP IT IS.

ANYWAY BACK TO MY STORY, I just thought eh, I don't decorate much and did I really want to spend almost $20 on small pink light up ceramic Christmas trees (that have timers by the way, which is my favorite) so I walked away.
 
**Spoilers ahead**
 
Anyone following me for any length of time can probably guess what happened next.  OF COURSE I WANTED THE PINK TREE!  Or maybe the green, whatever, and the obsession began.  Except of course when I went back the trees were gone.  And they were gone or never came  to any of the Walmarts anywhere near anyplace I was in Northern California.  I didn't drive anywhere out of the way specifically for it but I did manage to be near A LOT OF WALMARTS.  Sigh.
 
I mean, how sweet would two of those  little trees look in the cabinet our tv sits on?  (super cute I'm sure.) Their little timers would click on  and I would be so happy looking at them while watching all the grim crime laced tv I love.  And how perfect, they'd turn themselves off just as I was ready for bed.  It would be lovely.  Except OF COURSE there were no trees in Northern California. 
 
Which leads me to the next chapter of this story, obsessively looking for something Frankie wanted for her birthday.  I was on the Target website searching for the tinsel lighted unicorn and saw that in the Christmas offerings there were TINY GREEN OR WHITE TREES.  So off to Target I went.  Lets be clear, I did check the website and it said the blessed words "IN STOCK AT YOUR STORE" but like many an PamKitty dream, they were not.  #sadpam  But would I pay $15 a tree for small ornament sized trees that previously I would not pay under $10?????  Sob, I was conflicted.
 
In true holiday story style, one day I went to Target, innocently looking (probably in an obsessive way) for holiday Pyrex for Frankie, and there, sitting in their glory, the tiny trees.  

Little trees
 
 
Best of all they were on sale for $7.50 which was less than the original Walmart trees and it was like a Christmas Miracle, Lifetime movie style.
 
I bought myself 2 trees and a tree for my mother-in-law Doris and I lived happily ever after. (don't ask about the Pyrex.)
 
The End
 
BUT WAIT! THIS STORY IS NOT OVER!
 
P. S. I was walking though the Christmas department at Walmart right before Thanksgiving and what did I see??? LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREES!!!  Having no control I bought 2 more. 
 

Target Tree
 
 
How cute is this tree in my bathroom.
 
Happy December friends.  I hope the holiday season is as joyful for you as these happy little trees have made me. xop
 
 

Christmas Pyrex
You knew it right?

13 Comments:

Blogger Peg said...

Pam, Loved your story (and all your ramblings).
My Great Aunt made a Christmas tree that exact shape in a pottery class many years ago. It has a light inside of it and little colored plastic cone shapes that fit into holes on the tree branches. The tree is almost 2 feet tall and is real pretty lit up. We use it on a table now during the holiday season. It is just the 2 of us now, so we do not put up a real tree anymore.
Those little trees are so simple and lovely. If I saw a little pink tree that looks so similar to the large green one we have, I would snap it up!
So happy you were able to find more and share them, I am sure they will be loved :)
Regards from Alaska where our Thanksgiving week rainstorm has now turned to snow.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love your posts and I still read your blog and I miss the old blog days, too. It was much nicer and more slow and relaxing to read a long-form post with photos than to scroll through Instagram a million times a day! Anyway, I always check your blog and I love the little trees. I have been tempted by them, too, but have so far managed to resist. :)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Mary Anne Drury said...

Oh Pam !!! HOW I miss our old blogging days !! At least you kept up with yours ......I kind of let mine fizzle ..... but those were fun days for sure !!! And I "met" all of you fun gals in Blogland ( my younger son still refers to you, Sharon, Elizabeth, Monica, Amanda etc as my imaginary friends !!! LOL ). AND DARN YOU PAM ...... now I just HAVE to go buy one ( or 10) of those cute little trees !! So nostalgic ! Reminds me of growing up in the 60's and my best friend Suzy's mom had one on the table in their foyer .... always loved that thing !!!

1:10 PM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Ugh!! I try really hard not to shop at Walmart but now I am figuring out how to fit it in my crazy schedule this week. I miss blogs too, it’s where I first met you.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Roseann said...

Please please please write more often!!!!

2:58 PM  
Blogger CantstopQuilting said...

I love your story! I bought 4 of the little green ones a couple of months ago from QVC. They had free shipping! 1 for me and 3 for gifts!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Thanks for the chuckle I just had!

I still enjoy reading blogs, as it offers a more detailed look at whatever topic its about. But more so, the stories that I have read about other women's lives have made me laugh (when appropriate), but also cry at their sorrows. They help me remember that the world and people are still connected and share similar hopes and sadness.

BTW, I thought I was reading about myself. Many times I have pondered over a purchase, told myself 'no', and then later decided I really did want it, only to then go on a wild goose chase to track said item down, after it has sold out from its original store.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Bridgette said...

I’m so glad you found your little trees and Frankies Pyrex. Who says dreams don’t come true?

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Jean Etheridge said...

I read your blog and have for years. I use Feedly and actually read an embarrassing number of blogs. To be fair, I retired from teaching English after 40 years, so I have time for me. I loved this story. Sounds familiar to my shopping habits!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Aaron sutton said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Sharrieboberry said...

I always ask myself the question, “ how much willI thin about this item or regret it if I walk away?” I’m glad you were able to find a treasure. ��

10:27 PM  
Anonymous chris said...

Great articles
Love you little photos too:)

4:03 AM  
Blogger Edi said...

LiveChat Judi Agen Sakong Online itu99
Agen Tangkas Online Terpercaya ituGol
Trik Menang Judi Slot Games Online ituGol
Agen Slot Games IndoWinBola
LiveChat Sbobet Asli4D
Agen Sbobet QBet99
Hack Game AduQ Online

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older