Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Continuing Saga

Ok, so yes indeed, I did finish my Martha Stewart Potholder. I made a few changes, not that I thought Martha's potholder needed it. I just don't like to leave well enough alone.

One thing I knew right off I wanted to change was the little half heart pockets.. one layer didn't seem adequate, so I cut a lining for them, and sandwiched some rick rack in between for a little style. Super cute here against Debbie's white ironing board cover. How does she keep it so clean?


As you can see I didn't think far enough ahead, the red rick rack really doesn't show up that well. No turning back though.

I basted the rick rack to the pot holder base, but I think rick rack veterans will notice my error right off.. too much rick rack in the seam allowance. This is a classic PKM problem. knowing exactly where to put the rick rack to get good results. I'll make a note.



I used two layers of the Insul-Bright which I trimmed out of the seam allowance. didn't precut it into the heart shape, but laid my pieces on top and sewed around it. I didn't want to use bias tape, and I was reluctant to use bias binding because of that inside corner...laziness on my part. Of course it was such a pain to turn I didn't go back and trim out the rick rack, so it didn't press out as nice as it could.

Still it's pretty cute. I top stitched around the bottom half to close the opening. I don't have as much rick rack showing as I intended but in future potholders I would remedy that. When I first cut out the pattern I thought it seemed a little large, but it's perfect for sliding your fingers in. It might however be too cute to get yucked up with food. I've seen my old pot holders.

So that's it around here for today. What's up with you guys?


P.S. you can find Deb's delicious lunch recipe
here.
P.S. did you see Elizabeth has listed some new kits on her website?

17 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I spent WAY too many days making those damn things for Dave for Valentines day. Why is nothing with martha ever as easy as it should be? (and then I had to rush at the end to put the half pockets on b/c the baby was crying and mine are crooked. wah.)

6:29 AM  
Blogger Nedra said...

I REALLY like the ric rac idea so much better than the binding. So, even though you felt a little frustrated getting everything right, it looks GREAT from here.
(what do you think of adding your own crocheted ric rac? I just might be giving THAT a try!)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Consider that first one your prototype. The next one will be just the way you want it and you can go into full production mode. Very cute potholder!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Too cute! But my pot holders reallytake a beating!!!! Maybe if I made one of these I might be more careful

7:24 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Your potholder turned out sooo cute! I must make some of those!

7:44 AM  
Blogger ferne said...

I made one of these last year and I agree that the top part needs something so I used flannel to line the top and I also use 1 layer insul brite and 1 layer cotton batting because I like them thick. I don't want to take chances on burning my hands and dropping something hot on the floor...been there done that! it was a lemon meringue pie that I spent a lot of time making...sooo sad!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Good!!! That food looked so yummy...I am thrilled to have the recipe!!! I love the pot holder!!! It is so happy :) You know I have made some pot holders and they do always get yucky, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I don't just throw those babies into the wash. They just never seem to get there! Hope you have lovely weather today - once again we are enjoying cloudy, grey skies!!! best, mary

9:07 AM  
Blogger Lori Holt said...

Way cuter than cute Miss Pam:)
I love the red ric rac and I know it's no suprise to you that I think the red gingham and the cherry fabric is a perfect combination!
As for using your cute little oven mitt...I'm thinking you should only use it to take baked goods out of the oven with cherries in the ingredients...LOL:)
xx
lori

11:02 AM  
Blogger The Wooden Spool said...

Super cute! I want to make one, too! All my potholders are so well used and worn. Time to make a new one! Thanks for the inspiration!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Chef Mama Lori said...

Adorable! Now I want to pull out all cute fabrics and make potholders! Don't you know Miss Martha has "people" who make her look so good & her projects easy? LOL!

2:03 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

I have a love/hate relationship with rick rack myself. Just can't seem to get just the right amount showing. I'll make a note to bring that up in therapy.
I have this pattern all ready to go, so I was glad to see how cute yours turned out:)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Oh I love your MS hotpad. What a great job. Cherries always fit. Love it.

12:49 PM  
Blogger MomWaldsPlace said...

I have had my eye on this pattern since it first came out. It is wonderful that you did it first. Now I am even more inspired, thanks!

2:36 PM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Oh Pam, that is so darn cute. You have the cuteness gene for sure.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann L. said...

That is just too cute.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous kristyne said...

Oooh, I love how the ric rac trim. Very pretty. Almost makes me want to cook/bake ... almost. (Sadly, I just prefer the eating part of kitchen life).

8:18 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

That is definitely a super cute potholder! I think it's time I tried out a new style. All my potholders are really raggy.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older