Thursday, February 24, 2011

CopyCatty


I think at this point every knows I'm a serial copy catter. I just see stuff and I want to make it. Especially some super cute Happy-Zombie-Stuff. When she pours the kool-aid I just drink up and ask for more. (and have you seen her strike-offs.. O.M.G.)




She left me with no choice but to cut into some of my beloved Dolly Dresses and get stitching. It's my mom's birthday coming up and I wanted to make her a little something to set her tea on while she reads the book we picked up for her.
Not that she'll do it. Set her tea on it I mean. She might set something cute on it though,something that won't stain it or ruin it in any way!


The hardest thing about this little quilt is laying out the blocks. It probably takes longer to do that than cut them out and stitch them up. Tomorrow I should have this done.

I love the zig zag pattern, have you seen Elizabeth's Zig Zag inspired by a vintage quilt? Her version is Jelly roll friendly. I love her print backgrounds and how it changes the look. As much as I love the fresh crisp look of Monica's solid background, I can't help but want to mix it up with a print. The solid makes it look so modern but the zig zag has been around since 1775-1800 according to my Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. Barbara Brackman's book is a great and I highly recommend it. There are no cutting instructions though, fyi.

On a side note, have you seen this? It looks awfully handy!

12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa P said...

I found the key to that sort of zig zag is just enough coffee--not so much you can't sit still but not so little that your brain gets sleepy. Of course, with coffee as with fabric, it's always hard to know just when to stop. ;)

Having my second cup and contemplating the inspiration you've provided. Hope you have a great day!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I am right there with you...I see...I want to make!!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Nedra said...

I see a Zig Zag quilt in my near future too! Nice to know which tutorial is the easiest to make.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sharrieboberry said...

It's not copying. It's "inspiration"!

I've been wanting to do a zig zag out of some Holly Holderman "orange" that I have. Maybe I will have to copy your copy. I mean, be inspired by your inspiration.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Love the zig zag!!! Very cute with all those dots. Thanks for the reference charts....those are sooo handy!!! Have a great sewing day :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger happy zombie said...

Love, love, love your blue version so much... and I'm not even a blue person! Weepy cute!! And HARDLY coping!!! We're just pouring the kool-aid for each other - like how I drank the zig-zag kool-aid/method I learned from Amanda/Crazy Mom Quilts! Pour on, drink on!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

oh my gosh that is exactly how I feel. I am a serial copy catter. I see things and want to make them now! Monicas stuff always bowls me over. Love love the zig zag.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

Oh, I SO need to get out of my funk and into the fabric. Please come and beat me about the head and shoulders and make me sew!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Wenchequilts said...

Nice clean colors and pretty work! Maybe I should try this one :-)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Soooo cute! LOVE the color combos, too. How sweet to sew for your beloved mother. I love that!

xxoo

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Rambler said...

OMG I am totally a copycat too. I love following a pattern. I change it enough to make it my own but I am a serial copycat too.

7:32 PM  
Blogger alobsiger said...

Adorable! Yours and that HappyZombie's. Averting eyes now. Before I looked away, however, I spotted my arch-nemesis in your first pic. D'oh, Rowenta! Do you take yours to a church of some sort so that you can get holy water to put inside it? I'm convinced that's all it will accept.............. :-)

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older