Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Killing time

Do you ever just wander from project to project? I'm having a hard time focusing on doing much of anything. My applecores are untouched since I blogged them. My Dream On project is stalled, haven't done a thing on it in ages. Thank goodness I have a sew day coming up this Saturday, I might actually accomplish something. Something besides chatting and eating even.

So most of you probably already know Doe.. She used to blog at That Silly 'Lil Doe and I would just lose my mind over her projects and pictures. Now days she's on Flickr and still just as inspiring. Like her hexagon project shown here.


I just loved how her hexagons looked so I looked into the tutorial she mentions in the comment section (tutorial here.) I didn't use the special templates, just my Darlene Zimmerman hexagon ruler, which I love.


If I was cool, I'd have lined up that little bunch of cherries up right in the center. But, I'm not. Cool that is.



Above is how the corners should all look, very nice and all matched up, unlike the corner below, that I messed up on purpose (ha) so you could see what a not good corner looks like.

When going back and re-reading the tutorial, I can see that I didn't follow the folding order quite as I should have, so I will make a note of that.


I used my blind hem stitch for sewing down the border and I think the results on top look great. I used white here so you can see how it looks on the back.

I think with matching thread you wouldn't see it. I also didn't use batting, as shown in the tutorial. It wasn't necessary for my little test, and I think even if I did it as a project I would leave it out. Seeing my Doll Dresses fabric again makes me want to get busy on some kind of project, you know? It's so cheerful.

Ok, that's all the news here. Let me know if you make some of these cool hexagons, and be sure and say hi to Doe for me if you go check out her photos.

18 Comments:

Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, I saw these awhile ago and I think they're just adorable! It's great to know that you don't need the special templates for them. Now a question -- I can see where the machine stitching is -- I'm assuming the little areas between the outer edge and the inner edge (the six places that are sort of like spokes -- sooo hard to explain) just aren't stitched down?

5:52 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

These are so cute Pam! Sometimes we just need to sit down and play with fabric without working on a big project. lately I've been kind of stalled too.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Very sweet! I miss Doe and her blog - talk about inspiring.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

I know that project wanderlust too well! And now you have given me yet another thing for my "I want to make one of those some day" list. I already have the same hexagon ruler and lord knows, plenty of scraps of fabric. Thanks for adding more fuel to the creative fire.

Have a good day!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I love this little hexagon! I wish Doe were blogging...I'm not as good with keeping up on Flikr...thanks for sharing!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Lori Holt said...

Hi Pam...
I have been doing these exact hexies with "sew cherry"!!!
It's so fun.
I'm creating a project out of them that will become a pattern....
I've just been using the hexie ruler too.
I'm trying to be cool and center my cherries in the middle...lol.
xx
lori

8:18 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ohhhh....these little hexies are soooo cute! What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing Pam....how many projects can I start - I wonder?

9:08 AM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

cute! and yes, I do go from project to project...and wander from room to room at times, too!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann L. said...

You are not alone in letting projects languish. I don't know what my problem is other than laziness...

I've been wanting to do some Hexies and this looks interesting. Thanks!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

Your Hexie is absolutely adorable! I am not a symmetrical type person...heck I can't even walk straight...so I like your off-center cherries :)
~Sidetracked and Distracted Too in Austin

12:24 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I am trying my best to let the Hex phase pass me by...and seeing them done up this way is making it harder to do....especially with your {?} red daisy print...*heavy sigh*

1:04 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Excellent tutorial, what with your "what NOT to do" pictures. I cannot WAIT to actually unpack sewing things and actually do ... one ... project. Could this will be the one? And it's rainy here today too. I like rain better in CA than AZ, FYI.

2:15 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

I'm ADD which means I have the attention span of a gnat. I am currently working on a quilt, a set of dishtowels, crocheted dishcloths and any number of other things that I can't wrap my head around!
Love your work, I aspire to higher:)

4:35 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

P.S. I just checked out Doe's project...my brain hurts.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Rambler said...

I too have times when I wonder from project to project doing a whole lot of nothing...like NOW! And the real problem with that? I have a grand baby on the way. OMG I really need to get in gear. GEEZ I need some MOJO.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Cherries for President's Day. Love it.

8:25 AM  
Blogger charlotte said...

I love those cherries just where they are! and the whole thing is darling!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Beth Wagar said...

No, they're not. You wouldn't have to if you top stitch around the flap edges. Your right it is hard to explain.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older