Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ghosts of Projects Past




Rediscovering this project recently brought back a lot of memories. Being the notorious copycat, it was the start of a project inspired by a friend, probably 6 years or so ago. Its starts with 9 patches, big chunky 9 patches that really aren't my style at all. 3 1/2 inch squares, yikes, most of the time my 9 patches are only 3 inches finished. But anyway, these 9 patches are made up of stash fabric, leftovers from kids clothes, or dresses, things I made. And some were never used, just brighter things I'd collected. I made a few here and there over the years, I have no idea how many I intended to make. My friend set hers with tiny 9 patch posts, I think I intended stars.

This week I pulled them back out and counted, and it looks like if I make one more, I have enough for a pretty good sized quilt. I think this quilt was originally intended for a bed in our would-be cabin. My husband always wanted a cabin and for a few years we looked around for one. His dream usually involved something huge and Log Home Living style, mine some ramshackle affair. He dreamed of snow and Christmas trees and tons of company, I'm pretty much a few steps away from the KEEP OUT sign on the barbed wire fence. We're funny like that. It came to nothing, apparently like this quilt. I might revive it though, who knows. I know he's never given up on his cabin dreams.

9 Comments:

Blogger Angelina said...

I say make it!

I want a cabin too. I want it in the woods where there's snow and a lodge nearby that serves french fries and beer whenever I want them. Philip and Max will play in the snow while I curl up in front of my wood stove and read between making hot meals.

12:42 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

I'd love a log cabin, but I really want a beach (on Cannon Beach) cottage more. I'm gonna have it someday. I dream about it now, but I see it in my future! :) Finish the quilt. It will be wonderful in your beautiful log cabin, with the Christmas Tree, snow and even the barbed wire around the fence with the KEEP OUT sign. :) tee hee

1:21 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think you should finish it, also. It'll be lovely. I think you've turned a corner btw...I'd have pictured an electrified fence.

3:49 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

ELECTRIFIED FENCE.. wow, I so never even thought of that.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are cracking me up again with the keep out sign. You & Bret are so much like Don & I when it comes go guests. When we go on vacation at Lake Shasta I call him the campground director, making plans for pot lucks, fish fries, dinners out for the whole gang & invites everyone up he has ever met to visit us. Me, I'd be happy just soaking up the sun, reading a book, floating on water, watching the wildlife, quiet time.

About the quilt, go for it!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Those are sweet little blocks! Go ahead...finish the quilt!

7:39 PM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt - those are really cute squares.

I have a cabin quilt - I need to finish it. We did have a cabin - and believe me - it was totally your idea of a cabin. No Keep Out sign, but pretty ramshackle. I really miss it.

But dammit, I'm going to have another cabin one day. So I should finish my quilt, too.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a cabin too. I want a compound, in the snow, with big Ponderosas, a lake and crisp mountain air.... a main house and a few guest houses should we have company. And a cabin for the housekeeping and kitchen staff. And a huge sewing room with great lighting that can accommodate many friends.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at your blocks and saw my scraps basket! I love seeing how we start out with the same fabric and end up with entirely unique effects.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older