Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Kool-Aid



No I didn't drink the Kool-Aid served up by Monica in her fabric folding tutorial, but I'll be honest, I sniffed the package. I've been meaning to cut some strips of fabric for my mom for a while. Since before Christmas I think. She said she'd crochet a fabric rug for me out of my leftover thirties fabrics. I've used some them a lot, and it's time to retire them, otherwise the quilts just keep looking the same. I have two bags chock full like this, that should get her started.

A few years ago, Fons and Porter came up with a cutting bee kind of thing, make a bunch of traditional blocks out of 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 inch strips. They used the Omnigrid 96 and 98 rulers (which are like the Easy Angle and Companion Angle)and I thought it was a pretty cool idea. When I was cutting I'd set aside strips in these sizes for future scrap quilts. Except of course I never used them.

It turns out I'm over it. Completely. My fabric tastes have changed over the years and I don't love those fabrics anymore.Not enough to make something with them. I guess that's the downside to working in a fabric shop, you become fickle. So I found a home for some old stuff, and I'm packing it up. I feel good about it.

I was looking at the fabrics in the strips box and thinking about what I love vs what I've sewn with. Aside from thirties fabrics, I tend to gravitate to what other people are doing. So I have a lot of stuff that looks like the people I've worked with over the years. Back before I had control of myself. But I always come back to thirties fabrics and those kinds of colors.

Anyway, I didn't fold a lot of stuff all special, but I did shuffle the piles around and try to get a bit more organized. I had a couple of large plastic tubs, their lids askew and stuff erupting out of them, so I actually took the stuff off the top, put it away and cleared that messy area up. My bags of stuff sitting around have been emptied and the contents jammed into whatever spot they needed jamming into. Like I said, I sniffed. Maybe a couple of times. So I'm satisfied. I know, its a job half done, and sloppily at best, but thats the best I can do for now. Time to start on something new! Happy weekend my little strip sets!!! May all your sewing dreams come true.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

How wonderful that you have Grammie to make you a rug! Because you'll LOVE the rug, even if you're over the fabrics.
I also really enjoy the idea that you have fabric that reminds you of the various people you've worked with. That's really neat.
I hope...

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah and Jack said...

Over those fabrics? Gasp. I am just falling in love with them. In fact, those bags would equal "died and went to heaven" in my house.

12:15 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

hello you little pretties! who's the little pretties? who's the little pretties? you are! you are! yous the prettiest pretties of all!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gawd, it's so hard to part with fabric, even if it's stuff I'd never buy today. I have a bunch of Thimbleberries fab from when it was all the rage about 5 years ago. Now I look at it think "why did I buy this dark stuff... it's so not me". And JUST when I think I can part with it, someone's working on some cute project that I then want to do (those cute "Kansas" quilts with crows and chickens and bee hives...).

I too gravitate to what others do and want to do it too, though not so much anymore. Like you, I will NEVER, EVER, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS tire of 30's. And now I must put away the 52 FQ's I bought today at Anna Lena's annual FQ Frenzy. AND THAT WAS FEW for me this year!

Congrats on your version on the Kool-Aid! More like a Pamgo-Mango juice!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

There was a little rumor that maybe I'd tasted the Kool-aide too...not true. Not really. But one of these days.... how irresistable to have piles that look so pristine and color coordinated?!

I definitely get influenced a little with regards to color palates, but I have to say that I pretty consistently buy the same type of prints and fabrics. Like, you'll never find any batiky type prints, nothing too impressionistic, nothing tribal, nothing too dark (meaning like the Thimbleberry prints). I buy a lot more cocoa and turquoise than I ever did before.

I must be a complete fabric geek because I love talking about fabric. Never do get tired of it.

1:08 PM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

At least you sniffed the kool-aid. I'm pretty sure if you taste the kool-aid, you'll like it even more!

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older