Monday, February 19, 2007

PamKittyAfternoon




Yesterday was divine. I don't really know why, but it felt good. Our faux spring is over, the temps were still decent but the sky wasn't pretty and blue. Bret and Frankie went out to run some errands and I stayed home and sewed. I played a few of my Crossing Jordans in the background, they make for good sewing. Some shows don't you know. My TV is behind me when I'm sewing, so I have to be able to follow without watching. But I try and pin during the good parts.



Sewing for someone else means you have to really pay attention to detail, and you can see I'm still working on the piece for Elizabeth. The blocks are done and later, after work, I'll start working on the rows. I had to do a fair amount of picking out, which makes me just a tad sad because its all squares and rectangles. I must be a crappy seamstress because I didn't have to cut a thing, so it's me and the sewing. Why are my long pieces often crooked? It seems like I pay the proper attention.

Elizabeth cuts and sews each piece individually, and I'm from the strip pieced school of quilting. But the piece-by-peaceness of this was kind of nice, well except for the crooked bits. It's like a bit of zen sewing, sewing one piece then another and another till its done. I think of the strip pieced units as units-of-work, which is an accounting term I remember from college. I don't suspect they use that anymore, 70's accounting practices are long gone, but I always liked the idea of unit-of-work. It really fits the way I think, evaluate, and view things. I like how pieces are connected to a larger unit, which is part of something far greater. Like people, like family, like friends.

Happy day little units!


13 Comments:

Blogger Happy Zombie said...

I'm a "stripper" too. BUT, I love it even more when pieces are all cut for me and I can do a "piece by piece" method. I know what you mean about paying attention when it's someone else's quilt. No "design opportunities" as I like to call my mistakes.

Very well said about the zen sewing! I can see that! Of course once I had to make snowballs - enough for the entire population of China - and that could have been zen like, but it was more like "are we there yet" when I was sewing. I see my error now... I didn't have Crossing Jordon playing in the background!

I love, love, love the bowl! And it's contents too of course!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That quilt looks pretty darn cute, but I must say, I'm all about that bowl! So CUTE!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I really hate having to rip seams.

I do love the "units of work" way of looking at things. I like to get a real production line going nomatter what I'm making. It's comforting.

Maybe the person who cut the squares was a crappy cutter.

6:40 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Well I'd imagine it was the cutter if it was anyone but Elizabeth. I know its me and my lacidasical ways. But the blocks turned out nice and maybe tomorrow I'll have it put together. If I kick the desire to sit around looking at blogs.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your photos of your sewing machine with a coffee cup or an absolutely adorable kitty bowl full of Cheese Nips in the photo shot and a project in the making. It gives me a boost when I'm at work and wish I were at home sewing. Of course, I guess I'm not working if I'm looking at your photos. ;)

7:26 AM  
Blogger laura capello said...

oh, to spend a day whittling away in the sewing room. sounds lovely.

8:25 AM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

I'm a bowl fan too! I will spend today (after I get off this contraption) sewing. I love those days when you can just go in and SEW!! :) My strips are already cut, just gotta put 'em together. :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

OK, maybe Blogger will let me do this THIS time...
I didn't realize this project would be making you go all Zen on us...and I do hope I cut everything right. You just never know.
I've got to trot to the kitchen and fill MY little bowl with treats. Don't know why I never thought to put stuff in it...

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well since Cheez-It's are the official snack food of PKM and HZ... does that mean that darling little bowl is the official snack bowl of PKM?

I guess I better find myself an official snack bowl for HZ. Much better then working on finishing my office/sewing room's AQUAfication. Sigh... I better clear a path from my computer to the door. I could put stuff away I guess - but the Cheez-It's are calling me!

So tell us more about this bowl we're all jonesing over!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh look! A little Pam Kitty bowl, kitties & cherries. That is so you : ) Was that a Home Goods find?

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your kitty bowl :)

5:09 PM  
Blogger (Angie) Norththreads: said...

Do you ever stop?? Simply amazing!!! I look forward to seeing all your beauties!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

You are such a lovely and positive person. It's alway so nice to stop by and see what you are up to. Now send me the cute kitty bowl!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older