Thursday, December 08, 2011

Day Trippin'

Tuesday I had a chance to head down to the Monterey Bay area for the day. The weather was absolutely perfect, like it usually is this time of year. Cool, but sunny and clear.

I did all the stuff we normally do, head over to the cemetery to see the deer.. they were pretty lazy this time, normally they walk right up to your car.


Then I headed to a little turn out spot along the scenic drive to see if I could see any good wildlife. There were a ton of otters, the most I've seen in years. I wish I had my binoculars. Seeing them dive in flipping their tails was so fun.


The flock of Cormorants were pretty noisy, for several minutes it was all about them shrieking. WOW. Like angry toddlers.


Most amazing stop of the day was at the Monarch Sanctuary. I got there around 1pm and it was just getting warm enough for them to start moving about. At first you don't notice them, it just looks like tons of dry leaves.. but as they begin to warm up, they start fluttering about, breathtaking.


Down in a sunny patch, there were a bunch just flying about, landing, then flying off. It was completely magical.



9 Comments:

Blogger Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Sigh... oh, PKM! What an influence you are. I very much want to make the trip right now, this very day. Thank you for sharing this. I love Monterey, and now I have a couple more new reasons to go back.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh you lucky girl -- to live so very near paradise! The pictures of the butterflies are really interesting -- some of them look brown instead of bright orange. Is that just the way the sun is hitting them? Are they faded? Male vs. female???

5:59 AM  
Blogger Auntie Pami said...

Don't they 'sleep' with their wings closed? I love Monterey. It's a fun day trip. I sure miss Mountain View! And, Moffett. Esp. Armadillo Willys, Hobee's and Weinerschnitzel. Almost forgot Cosentinos.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

What a fun day! And here I thought the otters alone would make the day complete. But the monarchs really are magical.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my gosh. Who would even know it is December. Beautiful.

8:52 AM  
Blogger CuteStuffInside said...

I just watched your video announcing the winner for the Strawberry Patches giveaway of PKM fabric. It made me sad that I didn't win, but oh, so happy, that Annelies did! You couldn't have picked a better winner!

Frannie and I just love PKM!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Tina said...

I haven't been out to Monterrey in years, your pics brought back so many great memories. My day trip today? To the studio. I had to get OUT of my pajamas!!!! Some days are just not fair! ;) Hugs to you!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

We just took the kids to see the butterflies a few weeks ago. My Grandma lives right next to it so we walked over. The kids loved it! It was really pretty.

2:05 PM  
Blogger life in red shoes said...

I'm crying inside, are you happy now? I MISS THE OCEAN!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older