Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Maybe next year.

After yesterday's shocking revelation about the proximity of Christmas, I promptly drank my coffee and got busy online ordering stuff. What about you? That managed to quell the inner panic and I felt like I deserved a bit of a reward. I mean it sounds perfectly reasonable, right?



The kite ruler I had ordered had been sitting around for a while and I figured I'd better try out a block. I have a bad habit to committing to something before I know the pitfalls, like why would I 'waste' good fabric testing a block. I'm not very mature sometimes.



Good thing because you can see my piecing is a bit off. Those mismatched edges are just the kind of thing that drives me nuts. The ruler comes with a nice set of instructions for cutting and piecing, but I would have liked a little blow up of the matching points, you know? Triangles can be such a mystery. (triangles are cut using the Kaleido-ruler) OHMYGOSH I AM SUCH A DORK. I just looked at that template again and there are holes at the match points so you can mark them. Honestly. I totally know about those kinds of things, why didn't I pay more attention? See this is why you test stuff out.


Another thing I wanted to try is a kaleidoscope block that didn't use triangles to make the corners. Slightly better luck there. If you want to see a lovely kaleidoscope quilt check out Jennifer's quilt here. She uses a different method and ruler. You can see her instructions here and here. If you don't know Jennifer she's very talented and has a lovely style.


Of course the real reason I acquired this ruler is to totally copy Mary. You can see how far I have gotten with that. Insert my maniacal laughter here.

Have a good day peoples!

11 Comments:

Blogger Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Someday I hope to show up at your door. Don't let me scare you, it's only that I need to learn some sweet skills from you.

6:04 AM  
Blogger randi--i have to say said...

those blocks will make lovely quilts! very nice!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Sharon Pernes said...

These blocks are great! You should give yourself a big pat on the back.
I haven't really started my Christmas shopping, but I am calmer now that I have a list made and a timeline for when I'm buying it.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann L. said...

this post made me smile this morning. Thank you. :-)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

So glad to see you haven't lost any ambition during the holiday crunch. I'll keep that maniacal laughter to myself though. I have far too much to do on my own spiderweb. Although it's nothing that a pot of coffee and a clone couldn't fix.

Have fun today.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Ill be there with Natalie, knocking at your door for piecing lessons. Girl, your skills are fierce! Have you considered doing a little series of blog posts about the tips and tricks of good piecing? I've got the good sewing machine and great fabric, but my skills totally suck compared to yours! Seriously. I think a lot of us could benefit.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

It makes me feel better to know that even the great Pam needs to practice. ;-) Rulers are still a mystery to me.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Have fun! I have several more blocks to finish...but somehow Christmas has gotten in the way!!! Yikes! Thanks for the shout-out Pam....your quilt will be amazing. Just like everything you do!!!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I'm horrible at reading directions. Terrible, my downfall. Your blocks look great. I love points but sometimes I don't exactly make them.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

Because #ihavetohavewhatpamhas… I am going to get me that ruler! Lovin' on your block (and love Jennifer's quilt so much). Crap, now you have me wanting the Kaleido-Ruler too!

Ok, SO WHAT IS THAT SWEET AWESOME GOODNESS OF A PINCUSHION I see peeking?!!!?!!!?!!!!?!!!!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Grandma Shell said...

Like all the blocks but I REALLY like the last one. Now you are making me want something I don't have! Shame on you LOL

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older