Monday, May 07, 2007

The Road to Quilt Market

Turns out the Road to Quilt Market was paved partially with snow. You heard me, snow. I got up at 2am to start with some coffee and road reports but nothing on them prepared me for the Carry Chains warning at Auburn. Elizabeth and I freaked, then tried to find a place to procure some chains, with no luck. Unlike our (slightly) more urban area, nothing there opens before eight am.




After a series of conversations with Bret, who was on the computer at home, we decided to make a run for it. Yeah, it sounds a little boring right now, but at the time it was scary and exciting and I haven't driven in snow probably for 35 years. Bret was watching the web cams and weather reports and calling us to get what seemed like minute by minute reports. You're laughing I know. But it was a big deal. Chains. Good gravy. Snow. It's May for Pete's sake.

Anyway, as ridiculous as it seems now, it was snow! WE DROVE IN SNOW.




Then after the snow was Nevada. I'm not sure which was more challenging but believe me Nevada stretches out for miles I tell you, relentless miles, punctuated by the "No services" signs.




This may be the best thing about Nevada.



After a few hours of Nevada, hours that stretch on like days, you get to Utah. And the amazing Salt Flats.



I need to investigate the whole mirage thing. That just wowed me. And today coming home, all different mirages. It was like being in the set of a sci-fi movie.



Finally. The convention center in Salt Lake City..




Pictures aren't great, it was an overcast trip. Stay tuned, I'll be making more excuses for bad photos soon. Lots to report, lots of photos.

I'VE MISSED YOU!

10 Comments:

Blogger May Britt said...

Having snow now in May is not was we want. Now we want sun, warm wind and a lot of flowers.

Looking forward to see more photos from the quilt market.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

I'm totally diggin' your trip report! I can't wait for the next installment!

I'm sooooooo glad you're home!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ah, yes, that looooooong stretch of Nevada. I made the same trip in October (starting in Sacramento) and I never realized how wide Nevada was, particularly when we couldn't find a darn Starbucks once Reno was in our rearview mirror!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Was all that white on the side of the road in Utah actually salt or the mirage effect?

I have got to know if they sell coffee in Utah?!

I actually didn't realize that you were driving there. I can't wait for the next installment!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It feels like we were just there YESTERDAY.
Um, never mind...
Love,
anonymous

10:58 AM  
Blogger laura capello said...

snow? snow?!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a mushroom cloud? I hope you weren't anywhere near a testing site! I'm just glad your back safe and sound.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about it. You should have a "Breakfast with Pam and Elizabeth" gathering at the shop when you get back from Market. We could all bring the food and you could show us all your pictures and tell us about all the fun new stuff to look for! Is it just me or would anyone else sign up for that?

8:04 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

We've missed you too! So glad you had a good trip and got home safely! :)

8:00 AM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

Oh, Speed Limits....I think they've changed it now, but there were parts on Montana (I think, or maybe Idaho) that didn't have a speed limit! On the drive from WA to WI we saw "Min. Speed 45 - Max Speed 65". I think that's down in IL, too. Weird.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older