Thursday, August 09, 2012

Long story

Yesterday I read somewhere that it was Happiness Day. I'm not sure where I saw it, but it reminded me of something Bret said to me earlier in the morning. "Go buy something today." I'm not sure what prompted that, but I asked him like what? He said something that would make me happy. Of course I countered with you can't buy happiness.... but it was just a conversation, nothing deep or thoughtful. Just morning chit chat before he left for work.

About 11am I stepped out back for a minute. I was checking on my birdhouse 'situation'. Wasps (yellow jackets, hornets whatever they are)had taken up residence in my beautiful birdhouse. Last night we took shipping tape and taped off all the open edges so all the wasps inside would be trapped and all the wasps outside couldn't get in. It's a classy look for sure, all taped up. But anyway, I had my camera so I could zoom in and not get too close, then examine the photos on my computer.


I think this is one of the juveniles from my nest! It flew right up, and hovered in front of me for almost a minute!!!! Not even 2 feet from me at about eye level. I stretched out my hand and it didn't even flinch.


Then it hovered around me for a few more minutes till a second hummingbird joined it and they flew off together. Not to get all sentimental on you but I did tear up over it.. indeed it was Happiness Day. I guess I didn't realize how much I needed it!


You know who didn't have a Happiness Day?


These jerks.

13 Comments:

Blogger Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Those little humming birds are adorable! I think I must have seen hundreds of them while I was visiting Jennie! They sure make me happy! Glad you had a good day!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Debbie Johnson said...

It was Happiness Day yesterday! Got the stained glass lamps I ordered and they look so awesome in our newly redecorated bedroom. Made me very happy!! Plus a friend came over & we crocheted & visited for a while..another :). My Rob came home and we sat in our backyard and had a great evening together. :D
Your birdhouse is so beautiful it is no wonder those stingy beasts took up housekeeping.
Here's to another Happy Day!!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh how cool - that made me tear up too PKM!

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

Great job catching good photos of your hummingbirds. Their energy always makes me happy too. Hope you get your wasp situation solved.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Pam, it seems as though the hummingbird knows you! Maybe it's one of the babys from your nest!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

It was Happiness Day here in Ventura for sure. Got my sweet grand daughter and son for a few precious days. Be thankful Frankie is close by - being separated sucks.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Bowbailey said...

Hummingbirds are so industrious and fun to watch - sort of like you and your blog! I'll say that birdhouse is drop dead gorgeous

12:07 PM  
Blogger The Village Queen said...

One way to get rid of the wasps, get some dryer sheets, the cheap kind with lots of nasty purfume in them. Bees hate the smell. Put one on the table when you sit outside and they will leave you alone. After killing the wasps in your bird house, put a dryer sheet in there until next bird season to keep them from coming back. Works in your eves and attic too. No bees will make you happy too!

12:38 PM  
Blogger My Vintage Mending said...

That's it...must have a tiny sign that hangs from the birdhouse saying no Jerkzzz allowed....smiles..Renee

12:40 PM  
Blogger laurie said...

Happy, happy day!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

Loved your hummingbird story... so sweet! So sorry about the wasps/gang bugs.... hope you are able to get rid of them.... I love your birdhouse! Your blue and white quilt is great, too - love the classic look of blue and white! (but can't wait to see the new PKM!)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Wow! My happiness day wasn't really very happy... you know what I think that is because I didn't know it was happiness day and forgot to look;)!! Thanks so much for the lovely photos and comment -birds are great!

3:29 PM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Just a beautiful post. I got a little choked up reading about the hummingbirds. :-) I hope the bee squatters got the hint and go somewhere else!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older