Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Another Day

So what are you guys up to? I've been working around the house, doing a lot of small things, you can't tell that there's any progress anywhere. I went out back yesterday and trimmed back my iceberg rose, seems like my roses all bloom at once, then all need pruning. I have to pace myself a little, there's only so much room in the green can. The weather has been pleasant and the rain earlier this week makes everything seem fresh and green. Like my fig tree.. look how beautiful and green the leaves are. And I have figs growing!

progress on the figs

I owe these figs to Bret who watered while I was gone. I didn't have any figs last year, so I think he was the lucky charm!

Poor descision

I am continuing on the pillow, and already am filled with regrets. I used my Go! Baby to cut some flowers, leaves and circles for centers. I love the shapes, I used the Rose of Sharon die. I didn't use fusible though just used a little glue to baste the shapes down, and they're kind of a pain to machine blanket stitch.

Not that it can't be done, mind you. It's just a bit of a challenge when they want to move a bit or the foot gets caught underneath. Haste makes waste is an old adage for a good reason it looks like!

progress

While out back I checked on the nest while the humming bird was away. Tried to get a photo inside but my stepstool is too short to really get above it. I tipped the nest towards me and can see there are two tiny white eggs in there. Couldn't get a photo to save my life and the poor bird was having a meltdown so I really needed to get back in the house and leave her alone.

empty nest

Not that I didn't traumatize her further and head back out to get her photo.  I need to get a grip.

Hummer as of today

Time to tell you who the winners are! Clara from Clover and Violet, MadreKarin and Mamabug... email me your mailing address and I will get your goodies in the mail!!! Ok, very special peoples.. that's it for today!

9 Comments:

Blogger Pam in IL said...

I've been watching my hummingbirds everyday and I honestly just said to Hubby, "I wish I could see their nest"! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I'm new to your blog and really loving looking around.

5:46 AM  
Blogger My Vintage Mending said...

Thank you for the reminder not to take the short cut. Love this pattern but that humming bird is amazing....smiles...Renee

6:40 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

It's nice you had the diversion of pruning roses to keep you from getting too frustrated at the sewing machine. I'm sure the end result will be wonderful, regardless of how aggravating the process was.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Hummingbirds choose some odd places to nest sometimes. I have had the pleasure of watching a couple different Hummer families here at my house. Love those pics.
Kris

7:30 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

that bird on the light is hilariously cute, what a weird thing for a bird to do. I am not good at machine applique. Did you fuse the queen for your pillow?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Carrie P. said...

that is so neat that you found a nest you can watch while the babies grow. I have hummingbirds but have not found a nests yet.

10:50 AM  
Blogger mamabug said...

Pam , tried to send my mailing address and something went wrong:( so here it is 1085 Fernwood Drive, Fortuna, CA 95540

Thank you for picking me it made my day !!! mamabug aka Kathie Bugbee

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

That is the most unusual next I have seen. Guess I have never seen a hummingbirds nest before. I think you were doing good to get a picture at all.
Just finished the top to your Key to My Heart Pillow. Will try to get it finished this week and posted to my blog. I made it just like yours because it was just perfect to go with my Dresden Plate quilt.
Anxious to see this pillow too. It looks great in the pictures.

9:43 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I check your blog just about every day, missed this post with the amazing picture of the hummer. Love your fabrics also.
www.nipntuckquiltingblogspot.com

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older