Monday, April 02, 2012

Crush

What do you normally do on the weekend? Sometimes on the weekend we go out for a little ride around town. I get a coffee and we just drive, usually looking at houses. I like seeing what other people are doing with their yards or their paint colors, especially downtown, in the old section that has the cute little old houses. I love those houses so much, but could it be any more impractical? We joke around about buying a house down there to have as a sewing house, just fill it up with pretty things and fabric and my sewing machines and people could come sew with me. I'm sure I'd be a crummy housekeeper there, but I don't let it ruin my little sewing fantasy. Can't you just see it? Except I know I would put a bed there and pretty soon we'd all be moved into the sewing house because duh, you have to be close to sewing, and then wow, you live in a too small of house for you life. I really am a buzz kill when it comes to my own sewing dream.

downtown

ANYWAY I digress. One of the houses I have a crush on has a wonderful little courtyard between the garage and the house, and there is a pretty chandelier hanging over what looks like a potting bench. They have big canvas looking curtains to pull. The house itself really isn't anything over the top special, but the family has a nice way with things. I'm sure the woman is a little worried, I used to drive by a lot when they were working in the yard. And when they planted this little path of flowering crabapples I died.

downtown

It's so charming I can hardly keep myself from getting closer, but but I don't want her to think she has some crazy peeper. I mean it's creepy, I get it.

downtown

I had to stop with my new camera and take about a thousand photos on Saturday. It was very stormy but we had a nice break just to try out my different settings. The rain had beaten the blossoms, but still, to me that pink and white and dark whatever that color is, rose? CHERRY? It takes my breath away to look at them.

downtown

Ok, I can move it along. This last photo to me is about quilting. I know, it's a bit of a reach, but when I saw it the very first thing I thought of was yes, I can use yellow green with blue green together. It makes me happy.

So peeps, what's making you happy? You guys are super awesome. xo

15 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Pami said...

I feel your angst about a sewing house. But, since I didn't win the lottery, I'll just keep looking. It would be fun. A pink fridge, a special girlie space just for me!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

I love how Nature is always giving us hints about color and design. We just have to notice.

Ah, those sewing dreams. We do get a little carried away, don't we?

Have a good week--productive but fun.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Robbienae said...

My family had such fun yesterday playing with Pam Kitty Fabric. I had my mother, my 2 grandchildren, my son, and husband sitting in the living room and we were selecting the pieces of fabric to make 16 patches for my new quilt. We laughed and listened while my mother told stories about how her family use to quilt by hand. We got to hear about how Granny Murray did this and Grandma Bessie did that.....making sweet memories

7:39 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Well I love my sewing room, it overlooks our deck which my DH keeps full of lovely flowering plants. What I need is a whole room for fabric storage and a way to organize it so I can find it, not just remember I bought it. The blossoms are so gorgeous, let's see the quilt too!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

I've always loved the little old houses downtown there. It's good to see them being fixed up and loved. I know they are small, but do they maybe have basements?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Ok could we be more alike? I love to look at houses. I was just looking at a post of some homes in the Netherlands. I am an international lover of homes. I like to see the differences in people's houses and wonder how their day to day differs because of where they live. Sometimes when I'm super mad a my family I get in the car and drive around older parts of the county looking at tiny homes and thinking how much less complicated my life could be living in a little house filled with my stuff and spending time sewing. Then back to reality. love the little crab apple lane. People are so much better at tidy yards than us. I think 1 1/2 acres is too much to keep tidy. We should share that little sewing house. Dreams.

8:44 AM  
Blogger kathy said...

I love this post! I have my sewing dreams too. I love driving around looking at houses (one of the reasons I became a real estate agent!) and imagining what I would do with them.
We actually own an 1896 school house that we are remodeling. My dream would be to have my sewing there and invite people in to sew with me. The reality is that when it is finished we will either have to sell it or rent it. They don't pay for themselves! Talk about a buzz kill! But I can dream! Thanks for sharing your dream with us.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

Me too !!! I LOVE to look at houses !!! We live in a historic town with lots of Victorian homes .... and since I do home care and since there are quite a few elderly people who still live in some of those houses, I get to go in them ..... however, since they are elderly people, they usually are staying on the first floor of these houses .... but sometimes (since I'm nosey and just HAVE to see the upstairs) I convince them that it's still a good idea to practice going up and down steps ...... :)

I've also been known to go to an open house or two ..... just to see the inside..... :)

AND can I come and play at your sewing house Pam ? and you can come and play at my dream "Sewing Cafe" ..... it'll be in a cute downtown shop and be a combination of the coffee shop from Friends (complete with big sofa) , a quilt/fabric shop and a quaint book store all wrapped into one ! ........ someday ......

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Tina said...

Howling! You are crazy but in a super good way. I know these things! As far as the sewing house, please continue plans for it. I think it is a must do. I'll come and knit, I'm sure that's okay. I've also perfected my iced coffee recipe this week, I'll keep the carafe full. Oh and you know there'll be a bowl of chocolate of some sort. C'mon, lets get busy on this!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Lisamaries Mom (Linda) said...

AND so, now I can't stand this - -where is this place? We drive around probably in the same neighborhoods! So funny - - maybe us quilters are pretty much alike!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Dana C. said...

What makes me happy? Many blessings, including my new PKM fabric! (insert a happy dance, followed by girlish squeals) My mom and I spread them out on my dining table and couldn't keep our hands off the gourmet quilting treat. I don't know if I can bear to cut it! As a little girl, my favorite blanket was my "kitty blanket," sewn by my mom and loved to bits (literally). Wonderful memories, and fun to be had quilting a new one with your delightful designs.
Have a lovely week!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Love this post! It made me smile. I love driving around looking at homes too & especially their landscaping. I wish you had a sewing house I would love to come spend some time being creative with a bunch of quilters! I'd probably end up being the one to clean the house though...LOL The only thing that keeps me from more sewing/quilting time is my need to clean house! It's a curse I think I inherited from my Grandma...LOL

8:09 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

What's making me happy is your pictures of the flowers! And a little sad that I don't get to see them in person. Do they have a scent? Is it heavenly?

Though it does remind me that the orange blossoms are blooming right now, and yes, it smells amazing.

As for little houses in old parts of town, I agree. Years and years ago, I almost bought a little house in an old neighborhood in Pasadena. It was wonderful and charming and unique and completely impractical on every conceivable level. But it would have made a wonderful little "sewing house". Dang... where were you when I needed you?

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Sandy said...

Ahh, spring has sprung. Pretty. My weeping cherry is blooming too.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Grandma Shell said...

Wouldn't that be fun, to have a little house devoted to just sewing! I'd be happy with just a playhouse sized one in my yard! (I'm sure I don't have nearly as large a stash as you do!) PKM, you have me hooked on searching out dotted mugs! I found two over at the local Dollar Tree, since they were so inexpensive I didn't feel the least bit guilty about adding to my many mugs! I can completely understand WHY you'd "stalk" that yard. It's beautiful!!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older