Thursday, October 22, 2009

Short and Sweet

Good morning peeps. Ok, this is it, the last of the road pictures. It will be safe to come back here after today!


This is the border station we had to stop at on the way to market. It was quite a ways from El Paso, kind of out in the middle of nowhere. They asked if we were citizens, we said yes, and that was it.

I'm not ever sure exactly where this was. Probably not too far into the trip home, Texas is still pretty green here.

Chris, this photo is for you. We didn't see any cowboys along the whole trip. Not the kind you were looking for. I had one picture on my sidekick from the hotel in Fort Stockton, but its so blurry you can't really tell. Believe me... we really looked. And for sure, no chaps. Sorry. I can't help feeling I really let you down.

This kind of sign would scare the you-know-what out of me if I lived around it all the time. I guess its a matter of what you get used to. The only scarier sign was the one about prison and not picking up hitchhikers about 2 miles from a big rest stop. Ok, yeah, two miles ago I was watching for escapees and now you want me to rest? Between that and the Watch for Snakes warnings, no thanks.


Everyone who recommended we stop at Buc-ee's, you were right, it was amazing. They aren't kidding they have the biggest cleanest bathrooms.. I tweeted a phone picture of them. You can see all the phone photos I tweeted here.

This is our favorite Buc-ee's billboard but its like one in probably 100 going both ways. Seriously, every few miles there's another.

And another.


Here's a quickie out the window shot of the cotton fields in California south of King City but before Bakersfield. You can see the big bales of cotton, and we saw a bunch of cotton picking machines on our way home. It was very interesting and if it wasn't so far I'd be going back to check it out. I wonder where our California cotton goes? Hmm, I'll look into that..
Anyway, it was a great trip peeps. Thanks for following along with us. Spring Quilt Market is just 7 months away! I'll start resting up now! xo

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Oh well! I'll just have to dream about men in chaps. Your trip sounded like fun. Nothing better than a road trip with a girl friend.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

You always capture the odd, the funny, and the obscure. I don't pay enough attention I guess. Funny stuff.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

The Watch for Prisoner signs always disturb me too. Glad you didn't have any of those kinds of adventures to report.

It seems that 80% to 85% of California's cotton goes to the Pacific Rim. (See calcot.com) I'd like to think we're getting it back as quilting cottons. It's coming back home, so to speak. Which some of us already knew--judging by the sizes of our stashes. ;)

7:56 AM  
Blogger chq said...

So glad you guys had a good/safe road trip, and grateful for your desire to see an armadillo...we all won with that one!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Now I'm going to be shaking my head and mumbling, "Beaver nuggets?" all day long!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous happy zombie said...

There's a hurricane evac contra-flow just past Igloo Road. Where the @#$! are you? It's like Lost, 'cept now Alaska is The Island and it's now smack dab in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. The evil Benjamin Linus and The Others are at it again!

LOVE all the pics and your hilarious commentary. LOVE. IT!!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

The Immigration Check Point is 30 miles from El Paso/US Border as Mexican citizens who have "shopping permits" can shop up to 30 miles away from the border. The check point has never moved so those who are coming in US without papers just take the farm to market roads around the check point.

5:24 PM  
Blogger strawberrycream39 said...

Funny, funny pics! Snakes, evacuation, etc...eek, too scary for me. We don't get ones like that here in happy ol' NY. LOL

7:07 PM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

I myself was once a cotton picking machine.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older