Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009

Happy New Year! Are you up and at 'em today? I just can't wait to share my recipe for black eyed peas. My recipe came from my neighbor Alice-Jane and while I'm not from the south, I have adopted this little superstition/tradition via a southern friend from my old corporate days.

So here you go..

Black Eye Pea Salad
2-15 ounce cans of black eye peas rinsed and drained (maybe frozen is good as well, I'm not a pea expert by any means)

3 scallions cut into half inch pieces

1 red bell pepper finely chopped (unless you like big chunks like me, then its not so finely)

1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped

1/4 cup flat Italian parsley chopped

Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I use 1/3 cup oil and 4 tablespoons of vinegar and then splashed in some more, I like it all vinegary, but you do what's best for you)

1-2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard. (I used Grey Poupon)

1 clove garlic minced

1 fresh jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped. And this time I do mean finely. And people who really cook with peppers know that you SUPER NEED TO BE CAREFUL HANDLING THEM. I actually hold my peppers with plastic bags to minimize getting the oil on me. Holy cow you only need to get it in your eyes once my friend, take my word for it.
Whisk that all together and douse your salad. Eat up while sewing on something fun.



17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Pam! Thank you for a year of creativity and inspiration (and lots of laughs).

~Andrea

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Pam!

FYI - Pepperoncini juice is a bummer to get in your eyes too. That was an experience I don't care to repeat!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Pam! It has been a wonderful year and I am so glad that I have gotten to know you and meet you over the last year. I wish you all the best in the upcoming year. This recipe looks like it is right up my alley. I love a good bean salad... Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this tradition too. I also have a friend from the south (SoCal, haha... it's still south of me) who would make something similar. Wish I could sample yours. Maybe I'll just like my monitor.

Happy 2009® New Year!!!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

Happy New Year Pam! If Alex hadn't pointed us to your blog I would never have gotten to experience this wonderful world of "quilt blogging"! Thanks for helping me make this so much fun and I look forward to another year of good times and inspiration!
Cheers!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Happy New Year my friend!
I won't say anything about your salad.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, PKM!
Salad looks yummy to me...don't let Monica like her monitor..make her lick it!!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Georgia Peachez said...

I did grow up in the south and I LUV black eyed peas! Thanks for the great recipe and Happy New Year!! xo, suzy

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um.....DELICIOUS!

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it looks too much like vegetables for me!

Happy New Year

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yum, that looks good! Happy New Year my sweet! XO

7:53 AM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Pam! Happy New Year! Grandson Caleb and I have been down in the Central Valley this week...looks like we're heading home tomorrow via Daiso in Union City and we go right through your area. Is there a must see quilt shop or somethin' in there I should ferret out as well?

7:08 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

So I ate Black Eyed Peas yesterday too, but they were the frozen kind. Had no idea they came in cans. LOL! Now I have something to do with the leftover ones. This sound really good! Happy New Year!

8:50 PM  
Blogger julieQ said...

Happy New Year! Wow, that looks sooo good. I echo your advice about the pepper oil in the eye...not fun friends!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Happy, Happy New Year PKM! I'm so looking forward to a new year of fun from you!

10:07 AM  
Blogger *emilie* said...

oh yuuum !
happy new year to you too, i love your blog !
em

4:58 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I have never (to my memory) had black eyed peas. I want to do this but without the bell pepper. Maybe with celery instead. The dressing sounds so great.

Oh- we know about the pepper burn-ouch!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older