Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mmm coffee


Just reading my Martha Stewart Magazine and drinking some coffee this morning out back. There is a lovely article about one of my favorite little stores in Hollywood, French General. This year I finally got to go to the store, and it was great fun. Kaari Meng has a book coming out this fall, and I can hardly wait. The shop is in a little old Hollywood house and its chock full of goodies. I'd love to live close enough to take one of her classes. The day we visited she wasn't open but her husband let us in. She was sitting in the back working on the last of the book.
In the mean time, relaxing morning then off to a surprise party. I can't remember the last time we did something fun like that. This is probably our last 'whole family' event for a while, Frankie leaves this week for school. We'll sure miss her. The rhythm of our days change when she's not here and it's just the two of us. This is her second year in college, so we're accustomed to her being away, but this year she's a tad farther, and won't be dropping in so often. She's been home since mid-May so I've had almost 4 months to enjoy her company but its time to send her out into the world again.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

French General's new book looks yummy. Can't wait to see it in person. Between this book & Sally Jean's book there will be a mad rush to the book store.

12:15 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

I agree for sure. I can't wait for either.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so nice to read about your close relationship with Frankie. I am so close to my mother and we try to get out and do things together whenever she is here. I hope that Cerys and I will have a similar relationship. I love the photo of the coffe and the magazine.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - just came across your lovely blog from... someone else's blog (I forget who!) I have a daughter in college too, but she's doing her second year at the local college and living at home - both good and bad! I'm not sure how I will let her "go" when the time comes... :-(

5:18 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

I just read that article too. It reminded me of another store I've heard of in old LA. I'm wondering if that's becoming the trend or perhaps it's the same store.

Tell Frankie to have fun at school -- growing older is bittersweet for both of you.

11:57 AM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

I should like to visit this small corner of the world. Looks like new dawn- the rose.

5:47 PM  
Blogger One Crabapple said...

Ahhh, another moment stolen in the yard with a magazine....and lovely coffee.

French General ? Now here is a real tip!
I have not heard of or know a thing about this place. I will have to check it out.
And get back to you when I do.

Thanks for the tip !
Love, S.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

French General has a book coming out? whoopie! saw their stuff in ME home companion, I think and the website is pretty cool too.

neat little hollywood house, typical though, with bars on the windows and all. cute bars though!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older