Friday, July 10, 2009

Parade of Quilts

Carrie and Camille are having the Parade of Quilts show going and hasn't it been fun? Everyone started so young! I have been garment sewing since fabric was 32 inches wide and I was in elementary school, but quilting for me didn't happen till I saw Kaye Wood on tv using a rotary cutter when I was home on maternity leave. Before that I thought you'd have to cut each and every stinken shape by hand and I was so not into doing that. After sewing a ton of little girl clothes a friend agreed to take a class with me at Going to Pieces and my life changed. FOREVER.
The class offered a little bit of everything, rotary cutting, template making, applique, strip piecing, triangles right down to hand quilting. Genius class really. It just didn't happen fast enough for me so after the first two weeks I had to have a project to work on between the classes. P&B Textiles had this great line of fabrics and I wanted to use all of them. And I think I did. I made it, hand quilted it and gave it away all before the class was finished.
I had fun looking back through all my photos of old projects. I can see the influence of people over the years by the fabrics and patterns. Sweet memories.

As for my most recent finished quilt, I think its the Moda Bake Shop quilt.. I have other tops complete, but this is the last finished quilt I have. Thank goodness my piecing has improved.

So peeps there you have it. Hope you all have a super duper weekend. xop

23 Comments:

Blogger rachel griffith said...

you gave it away before the class was even over???
too funny.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

my first quilt is like my first kid... it was so hard to give away!... but i knew making it that it wasn't for me... yours is super cute.. i have a soft spot for stars and nine patches.. and you give me both!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Alice Regan said...

Beautiful quilts, can't believe you actually did all that work and gave it away! Love the Moda Bake Shop quilt ...just delicious!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Cindy said...

It is fun looking back, isn't it? Sounds like you were hooked right from the beginning! Thanks for sharing - this has been fun to know how everyone got started.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Wow...you gave it away? Love that bake shop quilt!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You sure took the bull by the horns before it had horns! Great first quilt story and quilt. We love your Moda Bake Shop contributions including this great quilt.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

The rotary cutter changed my life too. The first time I used one I thought ... "hmmm ... why should I spend all that money on one of those expensive mats when I have this really great piece of really sturdy cardboard?" True story.

One mat (and one new blade) later, the rotary cutter and I were the best of friends.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

I took some classes at Going to Pieces, also. One was a great one with Alex.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great story! Like you, quilting has changed my life forever too! And for the better. I love both quilts, by the way.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I've been sewing forever!

Pam, I went to Tammy Tadd's shop again yesterday and I was standing there thinking, "I wish Pam lived nearby. We could shop for fabric and we could hole up in the work area where you could teach me all your stunt sewing tricks.

- Suzanne

5:52 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

VERY impressive! GTP also changed my life...a bazillion or so years ago--Kristina Becker was so helpful and sweet--she really got me hooked.
I miss that old store...sigh...

11:59 AM  
Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

That's a pretty impressive first quilt in my opinion. Nothing like my kelly green and blue delight.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You win the prize for the best looking first quilt, no doubt about it! It is just lovely!

9:08 AM  
Blogger happy zombie said...

I love seeing your PofQ quilts! Josh is supposed to be sending me a pic of my first one - so I'm putting my post off until then. I love your little quilt. But the thing that shouldn't surprise either of us... I made mine (Josh's quilt) with the same blocks as yours!

Super twin powers activated. And off to Costco I go. xom

3:06 PM  
Blogger Kim Brackett said...

What a pretty first quilt! I've enjoyed seeing all of them, and it's so sad that I recognize fabrics from almost all of them!

Love your bowtie quilt, too. Very happy!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

First quilts bring back lots of memories. Quilting changed my life, too.

Your quilts are beautiful. I love bowtie quilts. I made bow ties quilts for each of my grand sons when they were born.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Sinta Renee said...

It's obvious that you have been extremely talented from the
get-go! I never learned to sew garmets. Maybe some day:)

12:10 PM  
Blogger chq said...

Love your quilts...both of them! My first "real" quilt was dusty blue, mauve, and mint green. Gotta love the 80's!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

So you started out being an awesome quilter too? I'm seeing a trend here. I am so impressed with your first quilt! And your last, of course.

Thanks for playing along!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

More of those lovely bow ties I saw here earlier. Delicious.

1:04 PM  
Blogger suz said...

I love your first quilt - I remember that fabric fondly. I used it a lot to make Halloween quilts. Your new bowtie quilt is really sweet.

1:07 PM  
Blogger cathleen said...

Your pink bow tie quilt is so pretty.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Great story, Pam! At least you didn't give it away to Goodwill like someone else did - hee...
Is that Frankie's doll house behind? You've come a loooong way!
Cheers!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older