Thursday, June 07, 2007

Flashback

Back in the day, we used to go to Elizabeth Gamble Gardens a lot. Frankie and I would go get crusty sandwiches from the Oakville Grocery and head there for a picnic.(check their site for lovely recipes) Its everything you love as a kid, paths and little hiding places. I can picture her , her long pony tail flipping back and forth.


Its been quite a few years since we had lunch there. We went back and strolled through the gardens a couple of weeks ago. Lots of new things there to see. Hardscapes, topiaries.



These sweet peas were so fragrant and colorful it almost hurt to look at them.


Does this even look real?
A little story telling hut. Little Girl Frankie would have loved that.


Lots and lots of espaliered apple trees. I would love a row of those. Or possibly two!


The giant bumblebees were rolling around in the pollen of these California Poppies. Lots of them.

This wisteria was so delicate and lovely.

A girl indulging her mother.
The running path, down to the fountain.



The flower beds were wonderful, the little wander we took through the surrounding neighborhood delightful. It was a good day and I'm filled with gratitude for it.

15 Comments:

Blogger laura capello said...

sweet peas! sweat peas! i can't even get those to grow here!

what a lovely day.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Mary's Cottage Quilts said...

Beautiful gardens! I love flowers and am trying to make my own perennial bed in the back yard... so far I am still in the weeding process but I guess we all have to start somewhere. I love Hollyhocks and sweet peas - so pretty!
thanks for sharing the photos!
Mary

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful place!
And now I want a hut.
Love,
anonymous

8:44 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Sweet Peas, the Napa Valley, crusty sammy's... I want it all right now! What beautiful photos Pam!

My mom and I bought a picnic lunch once at the OG, and they made such a big fuss when I asked for an extra paper plate and napkins (for DS2 who was like 5 at the time and needed extra as most kids do). Anyhoo... they charged us 10 cents for each. We laugh about their pettiness to this day. I do hope they used our 20 cents well!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lovely thing to do! My grandmother's memorial service was heald there. Seemed fitting for her love of gardens...

Dude, I know the original owner of Oakville Groccery. He makes wine now near my parents house...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You were in Palo Alto and didn't call me??? I love Gamble Gardens and go there often for a peaceful stroll. I posted on it not too long ago on Mar. 25 and Apr. 5. I even used the same bunny picture! When I was there the tulips and flowering trees were all in bloom. Gotta get back there soon.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

Your photos are so wonderful! No wonder Elizabeth has you take some for her. Has to be the eye that's looking through the lens because mine never come out like that. (:

4:59 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

The bunny topiary is the best!!!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Napa Valley. Looks like you had a nice time with Frankie!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Jan Lutz said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos, I felt like I was there. I am sick today and you helped me feel like I was outside!!!
Jan Lutz
theapronlady

9:11 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I feel calmer just looking at the pictures. I wish I could go hang out there right now.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooohhh..those poppies are my favs, gotta have some of those.
Your photos are just the best.... Make me feel like I'm there!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooohhh! Such a beautiful garden! And the photos are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

5:34 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

Oh, I would LOVE to go sit there for a while. Or stroll, or eat, or..... :)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

So pretty! I love California.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older