Thursday, November 27, 2008

Everyday Blessings

It did look a lot like fall out the window, leaves everywhere. I feel guilty about that, they mostly fall on my neighbor's yard and we're not good at keeping up with them. We're truly blessed here with wonderful neighbors on both sides.
I had coffee with Alice-Jane the other day and she suggested that I head over to our friend Ann's to see her wonderful fall display.
Naturally since timing is everything, Ann had just taken down all her fall displays getting ready for Christmas. She's going out for Thanksgiving so she thought she'd get a jump on things. Being a good sport though, she hauled out boxes of her amazing gourds for me to photograph over some dainty little Spode cups of coffee. She's a trouper. And she knows the blog must be fed.


I mean really it was POURING down rain and still she did it. Now there's a friend to be thankful for.


These are all gourds that she's dyed with Rit dye or shoe polish, then varnished. They're so amazingly beautiful... we just tossed them in the fireplace but you can tell they're wonderful.



It was late and dark out when I went over, so the photos really don't do them justice. I sure appreciate her doing it for me. I'm lucky to know Ann through my friendship with Alice-Jane. Alice-Jane lives next door, and is one of my greatest blessings. I was pretty much a self absorbed yuppie when I had Frankie, involved more in work than in life. We didn't know our neighbors, we both just worked and came home and then worked more. But AJ came over with a baby gift that day I came home from the hospital and since then has continued to give me the gift of friendship for these 21 years. I would say that she and Bob have had more influence on who I've become than any other people outside my family. And for that I am truly grateful.
Ok peoples. There's lots to be thankful for isn't there? Even when things seem dismal. I hope you all have a great day... Happy Thanksgiving. xop



8 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

That is a very interesting and lovely craft! They look fantastic!

12:05 PM  
Blogger little acorns said...

Hi Pam,
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that you are enjoying your "white" thanksgiving meal.. . . (with an accent of red cranberry!) . . Actually it's sounds quite festive!
The gourds are lovely! (A phrase I never thought I would say!) I would never think to dye & varnish them. It's too bad they have to be stored away!
Well. . . I'm thinking that the nap fairy is calling my name. We are getting wonderful rain today. . . & that with turkey & stuffing spells nap to me!
xo, Bren

2:18 PM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

The gourds are beautiful. I have never thought to stain and varnish them, either. Thank Alice-Jane for sharing with us.

I, too, have been blessed with wonderful people in my life. I moved away from LA 20 years ago 18 hours away from my family. I was 25. Shortly after that, my mom passed away. The friends that I have made since then have been like moms to me,being surrogate grandmothers to my children, and welcoming us as part of their family. I love my family, and no one can take their place, but it's so wonderful to have friends that love us, too.

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Amanda

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gourds are incredible! Such a sweet post - you made my eyes leak.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Doe said...

Belated happy thanksgiving! I'm sure it was wonderful.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:28 PM  
Blogger fiberdoodles said...

OMG these are amazing! I bought an apple gourd just like the one pictured at the Houston Quilt Festival two years ago and absolutely love it. Thank you for sharing these cuties.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older