Thursday, November 09, 2006

Going to the dogs.

I've fallen out of my routine lately, I guess it was my whirlwind trip that helped me slip into this big of a mess. I can't seem to get myself back to the job at hand, pretending to run a household and not spending all day in my pj's. And since I spent the whole morning reading blogs, I'm not doing much to help myself. In my own defense, I did make a list on Tuesday and actually yes ACTUALLY did one and one half of another items. Vacuuming should be one of the big things on my list today, the dogs are getting nervous about the piles of dog fur in the corners.. with hardwood floors neglect is totally obvious.

But my friends, who wants to read about housework? The only housework I want to read about is how people are avoiding it so I can feel justified in not doing it more often.


This week I had a dentist appointment back in my home town. Its an hour ride there, but I've been with my dentist since I got out of college and he started his practice and I just can't see changing. I'm not afraid of the dentist or anything, I just really like him. They were my parents next door neighbors so my sister and I babysat when the kids were babies, and I'm horrified at my own old age because his kids have kids now and I'm shocked. Its all part of life where you realize suddenly that you're now just like you remember your mother. Just consider this a warning.

So not having to be home at three like the olden days when my own child was school age, I wandered around the old neighborhood. I was waxing nostalgic after some emails with Monica from Happy Zombie, we found we had a ton of stuff in common, particularly having lived nearby each other for a few brief years. This was the second home my parents bought. My sister was born in 1960 and they bought this house new. We each had our own bedroom, mine being the last one on the left. I can remember looking out my bedroom window during the summer having had to go to bed while its still light and watch the other kids play in the street. YES IN THE STREET. You know seriously, I wonder just who those kids are, since so many people have that same memory.

The house looks wonderful, although I have to question those little bushes under the window. We had some mock-orange bushes (that's what my mom called them but I have no idea what they really were) and they bloomed tiny white flowers and it smelled like heaven when you had the windows open. We lived in this house till I was in college, and it was the last house we all lived in together as a family. The next house was big but by the time I graduated my brother had moved and we both camped on the sofa a couple times between apartments but never again were we all housed under one roof. It sounds sad but it really wasn't. I was always happy to know that I had a place to land should circumstances need me to, but after that initial stay after college I was never there for more than a month or two. I think Frankie will be the same, she loves living away from home, which doesn't mean she doesn't love us.



Anyway, yesterday work was busy and displays are changing and it was rather a stressful day. Over the weekend I had purchased this wonderful apple fabric so I picked up some companion pieces, bought myself some happiness. I think I'll make something for my cousin who lives in Minnesota. I often visit her in the spring and I like to make things to bring to her. She'll like the apples. I just loved the green with brown dots and may use it on the back. Its not perfect for the top, but the back will be fine.



And lastly, my blog loving friends, a bit of whimsy about town. Have a lovely day.

8 Comments:

Blogger laura capello said...

dinosarur rrrrrrrooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrr.

and, yes, your old home looks lovely.

i like being close to my parents, but i'd never want to live there again. i totally do not understand all the people in my generation who lives with their parents forever. we-eird.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too loved knowing I could always go home to mom's house if things got rough. Now that mom is living with us, that is gone. And ... the fact that my old bedroom has been changed to a bathroom!

Love the Dinosaur!!

12:48 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

Oh you sound just like me...bloggin all day when I have no business doing that.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Purely to make you feel better... I'm still in my jammies, I have dishes in the sink, dinner is not on and new dogs are "growing" in the corners of the much needed vacuumed living room.

How cool you took a photo of your old house! I wonder what mine looks like now.

I loved reading about your day! Your delicious writing was the perfect companion to my lazy day afternoon coffee!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

PS... I love the dinosaur! Too cool!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, now I want to go see my childhood home. Hope you don't mind driving me there...

7:38 PM  
Blogger KC Quilter said...

Recently discovered your blog. Love it and will visit often. I really like your apple fabric and its companions--can't wait to see what it will become! Childhood homes....mmmm, warm fuzzy!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I've had so many childhood homes. There's only one I ever loved and it's still to this date the house I lived in longer than any other: a whopping eight years.

I'm not sure my dad would actually ever let me move in with him, and my mom and I have come to agree that we respect and love each other from our own seperate castles. Which is as it should be anyway.

I certainly don't want my boy to live with me forever. Yikes.

that dinosaur is wonderful. Topiary is such a strange cool art.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older