Friday, December 18, 2015

Great Granny with a Twist!


Good morning! Happy Friday and hello from the last day of the Great Granny Twist Blog Hop with Fat Quarter Shop and Lori Holt!   It's been a fantastic week  of clever people  using the Great Granny Squared book as a jumping off point for new and exciting projects! 

Great-Granny-Twist-Banner
 
When Daniar from Fat Quarter Shop first asked me to play along, I didn't think I could think of anything new and fresh.  But my friend Greg had a pile of great ideas and he inspired me to think about it some more. It didn't hurt that Daniar was persuasive!  Fat Quarter Shop has a wonderful staff.


Granny with a twist
 
I pulled out my PamKitty stash and got busy making the mama blocks blocks from the Bonus Quilt in the book.  I like their size and the method to make them.  The block floats, so there is some wiggle room in the finished size, and I was sure I could use that to my advantage.

Granny with a twist
 
Taa Daa... Mama's Doily blocks!  


Granny with a twist
 
I trimmed my blocks to 6 1/4 inches and added scallops from Holly's scallop stripes fabric.   I cut the strips apart then counted over 3 scallops, and measured 3 1/8 inches to the right, cut, and then  cut 3 1/8 inches to the left, and ended up with the 6 1/4 inch strip I needed to frame the blocks.  You can see below I'm set to cut the right hand side. The  waste is minimal.


fussy  cutting scallops
 

Egads, totally addictive.  I had planned on just  a small 3 block runner, but I couldn't stop making the blocks.  I whipped up a couple of Fog City Kitty blocks  to test out my quilting idea.  I love grid quilting and for my two-too-pretty-to-use potholders, it's perfect.  But on the whole quilt? Not sure. Well that's a problem for FuturePam to worry about.  No time for quilting now!

Granny with a twist
 
Thanks to Fat Quarter Shop for including me in on this project!  And thanks to Daniar and Greg for the extra encouragement.  Holy cow though people, kid stuff compared to all the wonderful projects made by the other people on the list.  Be sure and check out all the projects.   I really love all the wonderful photography out there.  Ohmygosh.  I can't stop looking! And while you're at it, check out the great video from Fat Quarter Shop on how to make their Great Granny Circled  Quilt! Super cute!
 
Ok, here's the list!
 
 
Monday, December 14, 2015
Fat Quarter Shop (Hey, that's us!)
Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet
Sinta of Pink Pincushion

Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Renee of Sewn with Grace

Wednesday, December 16, 2015
Melissa of Oh How Sweet
Nadra of Ellis & Higgs
Marni of Haberdashery Fun

Thursday, December 17, 2015
Jennie of Clover & Violet
Erin of Why Not Sew
Sherri Falls of This & That Patterns
Rachel of P.S. I Quilt
Sharon of Daisy Cottage Quilting
Jessie of Messy Jesse

Friday, December 18, 2015
Jamie of Busy Bee Quilts
Daisy of Ants to Sugar
Gerri Robinson of Planted Seed Designs

 
Have a great weekend everyone! xo

13 Comments:

Blogger Little Quiltsong said...

What a pretty twist to these blocks. Love the scallops you put around them all. Beautiful! Love your little pot holders - yes too pretty to use!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Absolutely darling! Love those scallops.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These may just be my favorite! I am off to buy some scallops!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Robbienae said...

You quilters are so clever and awesome. Now I just want to get busy making my own pretty projects from Lori's book. Thanks a million!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

Good Morning PKM! I love the quilt and am excited to see those scallops! Clicking through to all the others has been a very fun way to spend the morning! Have a good weekend, it's going to be raining! Yay! Pam

7:30 AM  
Blogger Lori Holt said...

Pam!!! I LOVE it! The scallops add such a sweet twist:)
Thanks for taking your turn...so cute as usual!
xx
Lori

7:54 AM  
Blogger Hildy said...

Love your block and the fabric!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh PKM -- those blocks are just toooo cute! I love the sweet scallops!!!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally swoonable PKM!

11:39 AM  
Blogger greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

Oh Pam, they turned out fabulous! The scallops were just perfect for the Great Granny blocks!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Bec said...

Absolutely love your twist on the granny block. Those scallops are super cute. :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Teresa S. said...

I love your blocks. They are adorable!!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I am almost finished with using your Pam Kitty fabric for Lori Holt's Great Granny Squared. Can you tell me which solid color fabrics would go with your line of fabrics. I have a ton of it left and what to make something else with the strips. However I do not have a quilting store near me so all shopping for fabrics is on line! Bummer for me as I don't get to look at fabric until it comes in the mail. Thank you for your help.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older