Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lucky Me!

Today I was invited next-door to Alice-Jane's annual back-to-school luncheon. Alice-Jane is a retired school teacher and most of the women invited are teachers, it's the last week of vacation around here. It was pot luck and OH MY GOSH the food was so good.



Alice-Jane has a beautiful lush green backyard with a big deck, room for lots of tables. She has a lovely old oak tree shading the back, and I can see it from the crispy wasteland that's my backyard.


Lots of tables, all with different linens. She has so many lovely old things, family heirlooms . I remember when she had a baby shower at her house and she had a zillion card tables set with different white linens and real silver and luncheon sets and I thought my head would POP OFF over it all. I think the next week I started my collection of luncheon sets. And today Katie was there, she is the baby from the shower, starting college this fall!

The weather is normally pretty darn hot here this time of year, but it was blissfully perfect today. Sunny, blue sky, breeze, very pleasant for outdoor dining.

The table I sat at had these lovely embroidered birds with matching napkins. Geez, teachers read this, look at that sentence. The tablecloth had embroidered birds and there were matching napkins. Good gravy.


The desserts were so pretty I had to get a picture before serving. Bev brought the most amazing lemon cake. I had a whole piece of that. There were brownies, strawberry pie, my orange cake.. well actually my friend Sandy Close's orange cake which is amazing, and those lemon bars that Glenda made.. yum! I admit it, I had a little of everything.



Look at this charming presentation. They were every bit as good as they look!


Some of the ladies are blog-reading-sewing-friends as well, Ann, Pat, Judy and Kathy. They would meet up with Alice-Jane, Sharon, Glenda and Joyce to sew at the shop. I sure miss sewing Monday's!

It was a really great day. You know the kind, the feel good all day kind. Hope you guys had a great day too!

22 Comments:

Blogger cathleen said...

What a lovely description of your day. Have to say those luscious desserts look fabulous.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Bella Della said...

Yummy! Looks like fun. Can't believe it is back to school time.

7:40 AM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Lovely! Thanks for the pics...I'm glad you're included in such a nice time. I guess if it's back to school time I may as well quit thinking about buying a new pair of flipflops for this summer, huh? Don't know how I let this one get away from me.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I love when you poke fun at yourself. It is so funny. My neighbor Laura is like that. Her back yard is so lush and beautiful (with a pool) and everything is always so well done and matching. Its always extra special to go there. She hosted one of my daughter's prewedding breakfast at her house for me. People are still talking about that and that was 2 1/2 years ago. Its so fun to have a neighbor that goes the extra mile. It does make things wonderful and people do appreciate it. Good for you. It sounds like a lovely time.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely afternoon for you. Love all the pretty umbrellas, and the desserts, yum, beautiful!
You can tell your neighbor just loves to entertain
and does it well!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How delightful--that sounds like a wonderful afternoon! And who could resist trying all of those desserts?!?!?! For cryin' out loud, they look so yummmy!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

What a fun day. And please tell me you slathered on a bunch of that Reddi Whip I spotted in the background??? YUMMO!!!! Makes me wanna throw a tea party now. are you free to come on down???

8:55 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Looks like you had an awesome day. Now, is that orange cake recipe on your blog????

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM! What a fun day. Glad you got some time off from the sewing machine : )

12:29 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

OMG! What a fabulous day. I love luncheon sets...I think I paired down to just 5 sets now but I used to have tons. And linen set... Bridge sets to be exact, just the perfect size for a card table with 4 matching napkins. Oh I need to have a tea party too!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Where in the world is Jefferson City, Missouri said...

Boy that was great, brought back so many memories of get togethers. We had the linen, luncheon dishes. All was missing was the punch bowl....those were great times. No one hardly does that any more. Thanks for sharing ...It looked fabulous. Lucky you.....

1:52 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Charming presentation is the understatement of the year. Just beautiful. Are those lemon slices. Yum.

The tablecloth and matching napkins.....oh my..just fabulous. I would be frightened to death that something would spill on them. Where did she ever find those beautiful linens?

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

4:48 PM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Some people have it all together. I am always trying to clean the deck and patio furniture because it is, after all, outside. Others seem to just have the knack of making things look so effortless. If I would have been in Livermore I'm sure my radar would have led me to the lemon cake. You'd have seen my little head poking over the fence. To quote a Temptations song, "Ain't too proud to bed!" Gotta go wipe the drool off the keyboard.......

6:25 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne said...

Sounds like a lovely day!!! Were there moms there dancing on the tables and singing back to school carols like "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"?
.....oh, and those goodies!!! YUM!!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an absolutely glorious way to spend a day! Lemon bars are my favorite!

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good gravy indeed!! What a cool table cloth!! Sounds like your day was fabulous.

11:34 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

What a lovely get together. All girly and such :D What a great excuse to USE those linens and silver and china and of course - to eat!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Carrie P. said...

So glad you had a beautiful day. I was a beaufiful day where you were at. Food looked yummy too.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Heidi Kaisand said...

These kinds of things are so fun. Why don't we all do them more often?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

There are no people like this in the Midwest. We get a jello mold, and maybe some rotini in an aluminum tray.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Nothing beats sharing a wonderful day with good friends and savoring good food! Glad to hear you had one of those feel good days! We do need more of those in our life!

Happy new week!

Becky

7:40 AM  
Blogger Mama Spark said...

Any chance of recipe sharing? I am always on the look out for non-chocolate desserts.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older